Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Jesus fold the linen burial cloth after His resurrection? I never noticed this...SOOOO GLAD I TOOK THE TIME TO READ THIS!

The Gospel of John (20:7) tells us that the napkin, which was placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was neatly folded, and was placed separate from the grave clothes.

Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. She said, 'They have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb, and I don't know where they have put him!' Peter and the other disciple ran to the tomb to see.. The other disciple outran Peter and got there first. He stooped and looked in and saw the linen cloth lying there, but he didn't go in.
Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus' head was folded up and lying to the side.
Was that important? Absolutely!

Is it really significant? Yes!
In order to understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.
When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it..

The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not dare touch that table, until the master was finished. Now, if the master were done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard, and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the table.
The servant would then know to clear the table. For in those days, the wadded napkin meant, 'I'm done'.
But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table,
because........... The folded napkin meant,
'I'm coming back!'

HE'S COMING BACK!!!!

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
powderman said:
Why did Jesus fold the linen burial cloth after His resurrection? I never noticed this...SOOOO GLAD I TOOK THE TIME TO READ THIS!

The Gospel of John (20:7) tells us that the napkin, which was placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was neatly folded, and was placed separate from the grave clothes.

Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. She said, 'They have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb, and I don't know where they have put him!' Peter and the other disciple ran to the tomb to see.. The other disciple outran Peter and got there first. He stooped and looked in and saw the linen cloth lying there, but he didn't go in.
Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus' head was folded up and lying to the side.
Was that important? Absolutely!

Is it really significant? Yes!
In order to understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.
When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it..

The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not dare touch that table, until the master was finished. Now, if the master were done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard, and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the table.
The servant would then know to clear the table. For in those days, the wadded napkin meant, 'I'm done'.
But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table,
because........... The folded napkin meant,
'I'm coming back!'

HE'S COMING BACK!!!!
It does not say the linen were cast aside:

[sup]6 [/sup]Simon Peter, therefore, cometh, following him, and he entered into the tomb, and beholdeth the linen clothes lying,[/color]
[sup]7 [/sup]and the napkin that was upon his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but apart, having been folded up, in one place;[/color]​

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
That napkin was very important.
and as he returned to the disciples, he will return to us.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
williamlayton said:
Hummm---There is no reason given so it was only important to God.
Blessings

Billy,

A study in bible times and customs might help you understand. Jesus was a Jew and lived by strict cultural rules and customs that have deep meaning to the society he lived in while he was on earth.

Much like my Deep South raising allows me to understand minor cultural sayings and doings that have no meaning to the typical Yankee or Midwesterner. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
powderman,
thanks fo rthis thread. this is exactly the kind of thread that interests me lately.

If the authors of scripture were inspired to write it down, then God wanted us to know it, therefore it has meaning for us. Its our responsibility to know what that importance is.

Do you have a reference for the significance of the napkin/cloth folding or unfolding? I'd like very much to read it.

C-

·
Registered
42,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CPILERI. Thanks. I don't remember where I found it to tell you the truth, but I too thought it was important. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
totally understand.
If you do find it, or any reference for jewish cultural norms that have meaning; I'd like to know. For example, i once asked why, at the resurrection, the angel at His tomb was sitting down; and didnt get much of a response. This thread seems to point in the direction that the answer to my sitting angel question was headed. So, if your reference could help us understand all those little details that require knowledge of hebrew/Jewish/ancient customs or norms to understand, i would really love to read it.
Have a peaceful and blessed day, sir!
C-

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
So, Ok, i am intrigued by this thread...

I just thought of something, if you all would indulge me exploring this thread a bit more:

What was the jewish burial custom in general? how was the body wrapped?(*)
Was the main shroud placed upon the whole body? and the headcover placed upon that shroud (as the Shroud of Turin woudl seem to indicate by having the image of an entire -non headless- body on it)? or was there a cloth for the body,a nd one for the head, not overlapping one another?
What was the typical jewish custom (*)?

Why do i care:
If the body was wrapped snugly, then it seems that an angel might have come to unwrap the head, fold the napkin, and set it aside Easter morning. then helped pull off the rest of the burial cloth.

If Jesus was unattended, might He have shaken Himself loose from the cloth, letting it fall; and then reached up and taken the head cover off and folded it?

Can we deduce the sequence of events based upon the evidence recorded? i.e. that there was a folded head cover in one place, and the other cloth "somewhere else" seperate from the headcover?

(*) or, in jesus' case, was the process incomplete, since they had to stop before the Sabbath and intended to return to finish; might the shroud have been just laid over him and not wrapped up properly? that way, Jesus or the angel, whoever unwrapped him, just had to pull off the sheet (shroud?) and move the head cover, fold it, and set it aside?

There are lot of ways to go with this, but i am interested in exploring it.

C-

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I think that you have to be really careful when you try to make a fine-tuned analysis based on a word in English, as translated and retranslated over 2,000 years, in and out of Aramaic (sp?), Greek, Latin, and late Middle English.

When today we read the word "napkin," we think of a specific folded cotton cloth that is at a dinner table to be used by someone to wipe his mouth after he eats.

I am not at all sure that it is fair to assume that this is exactly what the Aramaic term meant when it was written 2,000 years ago. Perhaps the word in Aramaic was simply the word for a small white cotton cloth. And perhaps the closest English translation of that word today is Napkin (since we don't have a generic English word for the concept of a small white cotton cloth.) Or perhaps the original Aramaic simply meant a small towel.

Would the Disciples who helped wrap and place the body in the tomb really been carrying "Napkins" along with them? I doubt it.

Mannyrock

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
the ones prepping His body very likely did have the burial cloths with them, as such clean linen made expressly for the purpose were available and used.

Here is an unreferenced article that mentions that:
http://emp.byui.edu/SATTERFIELDB/Rel211/Matthew%20Teaching%20Aids/Burial%20Customs.html
it also indicates that the words used indicate "binding" more than burial.

and anothe rgood article:
http://www.craigaevans.com/Burial_Traditions.pdf
esp starting on page 11 of the pdf. It doesnt get into burial wrappings per se, but is interesting and related.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
powderman said:
... Thanks. I don't remember where I found it to tell you the truth, but I too thought it was important. POWDERMAN. ;D ;D
I totally agree, the folded napkin does have a meaning and you nailed it; Jesus left the tomb but he isn't done here yet!

The Bible was written by religious Jews and a couple of gentiles who knew much of Jewish history and customs. We don't, and we miss a lot of Biblical significance because of our cultural ignorance.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
williamlayton said:
Exploring it is OK--but the answers will be opinion based on human logic.
Blessings
I find it logical that someone would fold his napkin to indicate "I'll be back." I've done the same thing in restaurants for many years.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
BUGEYE said:
williamlayton said:
Blessings
I find it logical that someone would fold his napkin to indicate "I'll be back." I've done the same thing in restaurants for many years.
My mother told me over forty years ago, it was done because Jesus was as perfect in his manners as anything else.
That this the way he treated his bed clothes in life and for it to be folded this way shows that JESUS did it and no one else.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
Bob said:
BUGEYE said:
williamlayton said:
Blessings
My mother told me over forty years ago, it was done because Jesus was as perfect in his manners as anything else.
That this the way he treated his bed clothes in life and for it to be folded this way shows that JESUS did it and no one else.
Yep Jesus was no slob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.