Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x :x As an outdoorsman, I have no need for power door locks, power windows, leather seats, power seats, no-key entry system, etc. Save it for the asphalt only driving wannabees! I'd like to be able to purchase a real bare-bones SUV and add options as I want. I short my electrics out in a stream crossing, I'm going to have to break a window or let the water through. I want an easy cleaning fabric upholstery for when I get back from crawling through a muddy stubble field after geese, crawling for antelope, etc. I'm not so lazy I can't lock all the doors with the button or key. Manual hubs are nice since I've bashed a few on rocks and it didn't cost an arm and leg to replace. I don't need deep pile carpeting on the floor due to snow, mud, manure, etc. I'd be better served with something that ran like brand new and I could still just hose out after a hunt! :lol: That's about all for now. Thanks for tuning in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ford XL

Dont know about an SUV, but if a PU will do I just looked at a 98 Ford F150 XL that had air, 4wd and an auto trans, and not much more. Vinyl seats, no power anything, rubber mats on steel floor. Dont think anyone is putting Manual hubs in anything except maybe 3/4 ton trucks and up. I was kinda dissappointed in the little switch for 4wd in my new Dakota I bought instead.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Joe-

They got to cater to the white collar never drive it off the oil bunch. Look at the $80,000. rigs that run up and down the highway and NEVER see the dirt. Just gotta look the part. Even Arnold S. drives a Hummer to take the kids to school and go get groceries. Gotta have a 4x4 cause it's hip. The dealers make most of their profits on ad-ons and extended warrenties so thats what they order and sell.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Why do manufacturers saddle us all with cra

I know it is not really an SUV, but I picked up a full size Chevy truck in 94 that was considered a "work truck". Manual 5 speed overdrive, no power anything, rubber floor mats (no carpet at all) and a cloth bench seat. In short, plain jane-no frills. The darn thing gets decent mileage (pushing 20 on the road), and I don't cry when I muck it up good from my latest hunting trip. I can just scrape off the floor and clean off the bench when I get home. 112K miles later and I think that it is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. I'm not a name brand guy as long as it is American, but this old beast is going to stay in the family for as long as I can keep rebuilding it-there will be a Chevy in my garage at least until this one dies for good.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

My Cherokee, has only 411 gears, an auto trans, and an AM FM Cassette deck as options. I'm keeping it as long as I can. Milage aint bad for a 4X4 either.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Joe Mack,thats why I finaly broke down and bought a 1964 Uni-Mog, Got tired of the wife making comments about tearing up the Ford.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Re: Why do manufacturers saddle us all with crap we don't ne

JOE MACK said:
:x :x As an outdoorsman, I have no need for power door locks, power windows, leather seats, power seats, no-key entry system, etc. Save it for the asphalt only driving wannabees! I'd like to be able to purchase a real bare-bones SUV and add options as I want. I short my electrics out in a stream crossing, I'm going to have to break a window or let the water through. I want an easy cleaning fabric upholstery for when I get back from crawling through a muddy stubble field after geese, crawling for antelope, etc. I'm not so lazy I can't lock all the doors with the button or key. Manual hubs are nice since I've bashed a few on rocks and it didn't cost an arm and leg to replace. I don't need deep pile carpeting on the floor due to snow, mud, manure, etc. I'd be better served with something that ran like brand new and I could still just hose out after a hunt! :lol: That's about all for now. Thanks for tuning in.
You left out the new american made stuff is junk. I'm tired of getting new motors at 50,000 miles every american made car after '78 i had i had problems and my new subaru has no problems at 115,000 miles and my new wrangler has been back twelve times at 20,000miles will we ever get it right, my sons new ford ranger has been back so much they should be making the payments. Now my point I'm restoring a '55 jeep CJ5 because i want no bells. no whistles, no bull just something that runs. I had an '88 suburban it needed a motor at 52,000 miles cracked block(350) the misses drove it and the dealer laughed at me. The japanese manufactures are quality driven and will accept nothing less, while the american car manufactures crank out junk their going to get what they did to tucker ten fold and their even trying to do joint ventures with the japanese to survive and still losing ground will they ever get the message I think not. My little '55 is going to be so nice its got "points" and i can fix anything on the whole car the only air it has is free no top. BigBill

I wish International harvester would make us a no frills truck a work horse again not a people mover a real TRUCK!!!!!!!! for us truck lovers/users!!!! The market is open for a good truck. I guess I'm going to have to find a '72 or older and restore it next??

·
Registered
834 Posts

I couldn't agree more with this thread. I ask myself the same thing. The truth is that the car makers are marketing an image to the soccer moms that they're gonna take their Explorers, whatever, off the road and into some fantasy adventure.

The sad truth is that the chances of hitting powerball are better than that a molecule of mud will ever touch that velour uphostery.

And WE pay for it.

I couldn't find anything with rubber floor mats, vinyl seats, etc. Unless I wanted a stripped short cab pickup.

I ended up getting an extended cab pickup with plush seats I had to buy Cordura covers for and a carpet I had to buy plastic floor mats for. At least I got crank windows.

I remember my neighbor when I was growing up who had an International Scout. When he got back from an outting he'd open up both front doors and turn the hose on the interior. NO carpeting.

That was back when men were men.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I can't agree more.With all the crap they are putting on trucks these days it's no wonder they all cost $30,000 plus. The idea of someone being able to unlock my truck or tell me where I am at from a satellite scares the heck out of me. I am a firm believer that trucks were not made to have carpet! :-D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

i just bought an old 84 f-150 lariat. it was a farm truck and the body has definatly seen better days. but its 6 inch lift and 351 cleveland are just what i need to get down abandoned logging roads to my favorite fishing hole. last year my buddy took it up north for moose and took a large (500 lbs, or so he claims) black bear in the grill.there was damage but nothing too major. it has no power accesories and your basic am radio. it always seems that power windows and locks are the first thing to go. i prefer older vehicles because iam fairly tall and ratherwide. i borrowed a friends new dodge dakota and all i could see in front of me was sun visor and a big DODGE decal on the windshield. old steel is better than new plastic, and the same goes for snowmobiles. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

I can tell that you guys don't have much sense about vehicles. I am 18yrs old and I just bought a 2002 Chevrolet 3500 dually with the new 8.1L V8 in it. It is right now the biggest gas engine in a pickup on the market. You don't have to get all of the fancy stuff on the vehicles that is just the way they come onto the lot so they can get more money out of them. I ordered this truck from a dealer with nothing but the necessities. This truck cost me $24,000 wich you can't beat anywhere.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

NightFox is right, You won't find the striped down truck on the lot any more because people like you, (no disrespect intended), are far and few between. Most people want frills. Look at all the trucks on the road today. 99% of them never leave the pavement. Most of the 4x4s never get used unless it snows. If you want a bare bones truck, order it. You might be surprised how affordable it is. Those frills cost alot. Just an educated opinion. (I work for Ford) KN

·
Registered
3,161 Posts

Knightfox and KN have got it right all you have to do is ORDER the truck the way you want it, today nobody wants to wait the 6 to 8 weeks maybe longer not sure for a new one to come in, they want it now. :D JIM

·
698 Posts

NightFox is right about the options thing, but apparently he doesn't enjoy working on engines, because about the max he can do with his truck without the benefit of some very expensive computer diagnostics is change belts, air filter, and his oil. He might be able to go faster than my standard carb 1973 Suburban, but I can plow through just as much and when it decides to stall out on the road (which it doesn't very often unlike my friend's new pickup which I have towed to the dealer several times for him already) I can fix it with what is in my tool box and doesn't cost hundreds for a stinking computer chip that went bad cause I splashed some water into the engine housing crossing a creek.
Selmer

·
Registered
20 Posts

Good point Selmer, but the manufacturers aren't stupid. If you look at any of the boxes in those trucks they are sealed air tight. I do know enough about trucks to know what is wrong with mine. I don't need no [email protected] computer to tell me that. If my truck was meant to plow through stuff I'm sure it would. This truck is meant to tow heavy loads and does just that. Not once have I ever had a problem with it.

·
698 Posts

NightFox, we obviously have trucks for two different reasons, you tow stuff, I haul people, decoys, dogs, and game. I don't think there's better vehicle made for my purposes than a 1973-1991 Chevy Suburban (**** with the late models, they cater to soccer moms and egotistical men in the cities). I have no doubt that you can out-tow me, I use it for hauling the boat at most, but I'll lead the way snow boggin! Have fun with you truck whatever you do, enjoy it while we still get to use fossil fuels. :)
Selmer

·
Registered
882 Posts

An older Suburban is no slouch in the towing department. I have often towed a 3000 pound race truck on a 1500 pound trailer with no problems. I also towed a 2000 pound vintage sports car on a 1000 pound trailer over the Allegheny Mountains and the Suburban pulled the load and stopped without difficulty. The propensity to rust is about the only negative on these old cars--that and they don't have heated seats. :) :)
Bill

·
698 Posts

When we had the 1973 Suburban restored we had the body shop coat the frame and undercarriage with the rust-proof (preventitive) coating. I shouldn't have any rusting problems. We'll see how it works, I haven't got any rust yet, but it's only a year out of the shop. The only mistake I made was putting nerf bars on instead of running boards, the powder coating is chipped off already and the Iowa salt is starting it's natural course of action.
Selmer

·
Registered
20 Posts

Does your Suburban have the 454 in it? My dad's older Chevrolet had one in it and the cadalitic converter got so hot on that thing it would almost boil the gas in the gas tank. The 4x4 shifter on it would get so hot you couldn't even touch it.

·
698 Posts

Nope, just the standard carb 350 V-8. It cruises me down the interstate at 80+, it's fast enough and it's go the guts to plow when I need to. I thought about converting it to the 454, but gas mileage is already bad enougg, in the winter it get 10-12, summer 13-16. There is no catalytic converter on this Suburban, it was made before they were put on them thank goodness.
Selmer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts