Graybeard Outdoors banner

Why not the Encore?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Gregory 
#1 ·
I have been watching all of the bickering about TC not putting out any new Contender frames, but it sounds like a few of you have more frames than I have fingers and they are producing the Encore frames. Why don't you just get an Encore and be happy with it? I know the Contenders are lighter, but is that the only advantage? If you have any other points, let me hear them. I own an Encore, but the more I hear about the Contender the more I wonder if I'm missing out on something big. Let me know, thanks.
Selmer

#2 ·
i've got both and can't understand anyone not liking the encore. it's great. like most other guns it needs a trigger job. you can cock the hammer and then let it down to recock again if you need to. the contender has to be broken down and reclosed to cock again. the weight difference is negligible. if you can tell the difference when holding both, you are a much better at it than me. the contender is also one awesome piece of machinery, but no more than the encore. i think everyones disappointment with them not making it anymore shows. if we ever get a G2 maybe it will ease the pain for some. when the encore first came out i was greatly disappointed with the new look. the contender has the good lookin etchings. now, i've come to like the encore look also. they each may have their small advantages. if you ignore the encore you will be missing out on a great handgun. buy em both if your a serious handgunner. you are missing out if you don't have the contender also but it depends if you want just one gun to hunt with or a couple to play and hunt with. both are major fun.

#4 ·
Well I am ne wto the TC's and I only have c contender. I did look at a used encore a couple of weeks ago and the reason I would not buy it is that for me the finger reach is to far. I am about average size but I have small hands and the reach on the encore is just not comfortable to me. Even the old contender is pushing it. That is the only reason I would like to see a G2. From whot I have read the grip angle is different making the reach a bit shorter.
BruceP

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Brian. The encore that I was looking at was not a wood grip but I dont know that I would call this one rubber either. I think its the one they call a composite grip. Just for my own curiosity I measured my right hand. From the base of the thumb to the tip of my trigger finger is 6 5/8 inches. it may be that others with the same size hand would be comfortable with grips that I am not, but I have that problem with several guns. The old S&W wood grips are to big and even the Hogue grips on my 629 are pushing it. I would like a raging bull 480 but while thin enough the grips are a little to "deep" for my liking. If I do find an encore with a wood grip I'll have to check it out. :D

#6 ·
Theres also the idea of having VVCG make you up a set of grips thats what I did. I had the composite ones and I allways seemed to cut my finger while using them so I got a set of custom grips and forend made. They had me fax a copy of an outline of my hand and this grips fits perfectly, I even noticed a reduction in felt recoil which seems weird.. my groups seemed to shrink too I guess just more confidence in it then before... Just a thought

Mike

#8 ·
BruceP said:
Thanks for the info Brian. The encore that I was looking at was not a wood grip but I dont know that I would call this one rubber either. I think its the one they call a composite grip. Just for my own curiosity I measured my right hand. From the base of the thumb to the tip of my trigger finger is 6 5/8 inches. it may be that others with the same size hand would be comfortable with grips that I am not, but I have that problem with several guns. The old S&W wood grips are to big and even the Hogue grips on my 629 are pushing it. I would like a raging bull 480 but while thin enough the grips are a little to "deep" for my liking. If I do find an encore with a wood grip I'll have to check it out. :D
Bruce,
I'm not sure I took the exact measurement you did but my hand measures 5 1/2 inches and the rubber Encore grip works well for me.
Greg

#9 ·
Greg where I measured to is right where my wrist starts to bend. If you measured to the base of your thumb at the web between the thumb and trigger finger then my comparison measurement is just barely over 4 1/2. I am thinking that this might be where you measured to but if not then I guess I was right when I said some might be ok with something I am not. I know that to some extent these things are subjective just like recoil tolerance.
BruceP :)

#10 ·
Bruce
I remeasured to my wrist bending and get 6 1/2 ". I've never tried the composite grip, but I replaced my wood grip with the rubber one. The wood was too large for me. You may want to try a set of rubber grips.
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.