Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've never asked it so directly, but why would anyone such as concealed carry holder or a home defense user care to use a 1911? It seems like the newer style double action Glock-style guns would be a better choice because it's designed to be carried without worrying about whether it's cocked and locked.

I still see this newer style auto and the revolver as being the better choice for the personal defense user.

The 1911 seems like it would be fine for non-concealed carry holstered use. But seems too complicated for personal defense.

Remember, I don't care about "special ops" or other specialized cops or soldiers. I am only asking about applicability to concealed carry and home defense users.

My gun of choice would be a revolver for these applications. That is because of simplicity and safety of the design. And it would be 38 special with a modern defense bullet.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Good question. IMO, it boils down to personal preference. I choose to use the 1911 as a home defense weapon and my carry weapon because it is a proven platform. I practice enough with it that its operation is almost second nature. The 45 ACP is also a great self defense round. The cocked and locked issue is moot. If you put in the time learning a practicing with your weapon of choice; then you've established a level of knowledge about said weapon that mitigate those concerns.

I know that for some it is easier to put rounds on any given target with a revolver, and there are those that do better with an auto. For me the 1911 fits my hand really well, and I like the option of having a few more rounds if the need arises. Every once in a while I will carry a revolver, but guess what? It's in 45 ACP too!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Well,---------it's reliable, powerful, accurate, safe, and is thin enough to carry well. I think that about says it all.
Savage

·
Registered
60 Posts
This may sound dumb, but in my case of all the handguns I have or even guns I have shot that belonged to others my 1911 style Kimber Royal just feels like and extension of my hand. When I bring it up it just seems to naturally go to where I'm looking better than any other style of handgun. With that being said , not every 1911 feels a natural to me as my own that I shoot all the time. I would agree that there are guns much easier to conceal. In the summer I carry a S&W 3913. It fits my waistline much better but the 1911 sure feels better in my hand. In my case I guess I just have more confidence in my shooting with the 1911 platform. Call me weird.
Paul

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have yet to find a double action only style pistol I can shoot well. For me it's my Kimber RCP that tags along. KN

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
If we all fell in love with the same woman it would be a heck of a fight.
I carry each type--well, a couple of Sig's which are not Glocks, and an old PPK--on different occasions.
I agree that the 1911 in it's many variations conceals better that the Sig's.
The operation of one over the other is minute--if you take the time too learn it and learn to handle it.
By all means know what you have and be proficient with it.
Blessings

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Through countless combat encounters, the U.S. solders have found it stops close quarters fights very well. The .45 club wasn't formed because this caliber is a choice, but, because most solders lived through these battles. So, those that pick some thing else or a smaller caliber, are kidding themselves. All the gun writers and combat wana bees advise comes from the writen word, not actual experience?
Ask any vetern(that has seen the elephant and lived) if they would rather have a 9MM or .45?

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Yes, Mikey, I agree.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
From my point of view, anybody who finds the 1911 to "complicated" perhaps should not be trying to carry ANY gun at all!!

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
S.B. said:
Through countless combat encounters, the U.S. solders have found it stops close quarters fights very well. The .45 club wasn't formed because this caliber is a choice, but, because most solders lived through these battles. So, those that pick some thing else or a smaller caliber, are kidding themselves. All the gun writers and combat wana bees advise comes from the writen word, not actual experience?
Ask any vetern(that has seen the elephant and lived) if they would rather have a 9MM or .45?
Your point is well taken sir. I am retired now, but in 1978 a couple of gentlemen from Dallas Texas, driving a stolen 1978 Buick Regal tired to end my earthly journey. A customized light weight Commander that I had personally built, and myself and the Colt, outnumbered them in a decisive manner. I fired five shots, in a time span of 2 to 3 seconds, and it was over. The winner of the fight should be obviouse to all. My carry since 1976 has, and is a 1911, stoked with 200 grain jacketed FLAT POINT bullets. No hollow points for me sir. These work just fine. Jeff Cooper would agree on this round, and also carried it. It works.
The sear "lock time" is the fastest in the business, and an 18 lb. spring reduces felt recoil, or should I say, the cycle of the slide, i.e. muzzle flip. It is truly a fight winner, if one can keep his head when the fight starts.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I like the flat points also. I'm wonder'n if there's any field data to back up our convictions.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Dusty: I'm certain there is some information from police files regarding the effectiveness of the 45 ACP in police shootings and there may even be information regarding the particular style of bullets involved, which might give you some sort of a lead in as to whether flat points are more effective.

However, a good parallel would be to look at the 38 Spl and the differences in effectiveness between the 158 gn round nose slugs and the 158 gn semi-wadcutters. I can't quote you percentages but the semi-wadcutter slug was much more effective and many departments went to is use.

I think the only thing you could do to enhance the effectiveness of the 45 round ball is to make it a semi-wadcutter. JMTCW. Mikey.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Big bullets = big holes.

Nobody likes to have big hole in them.

9/10 bad guys all agree they would rather have small holes in them than big ones.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
For me it's preference,

I like the old platforms like the 1911 and the HP (of which I have both the 9 and 40). I also have a SW3913 which I use as well as a PPK/S, and either of which to carry under a suit. I also use a Colt Mustang Pocket lite for really small carry. I like the caliber but can easily live with a 40. I had a detonics MK VI but it was unreliable. so, I like the 1911 because I can get my hands around it, it points naturally for me and has a caliber that I feel will be decisive.

Oh yeah...and then there's that smile I get when I look at a 1911 that I don't get when I look at a block, er, glock.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
If all of my possible self defense scenarios were going to be face to face or even out to ten yards, I'd as soon use a revolver or just about any reliable semi-auto as a 1911. Since there is no way to guarantee point blank encounters, I choose to own and carry 1911's as no other handgun design allows me to place that first shot on target at even extended ranges as the single action does.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your points about the ease of use and safety systems are well taken, for folks who aren't "into" guns, as WE all obviously are. If I'm teaching somebody to shoot, or offering advice to somebody I know is only going to shoot once or twice a year, I steer them to the simplest piece of hardware that's suitable for their power needs and ability. Although the Glocks, Springfield XD's, etc., offer a great combination of ease and firepower, I find that a lot of folks still like the ability to open a cylinder, see the cartridges (or empty chambers), and feel comforted. Most of them also express confidence in being able to remember how to load and unload the weapon after they've left the training.

On the downside, revolvers are a little less friendly for use with a flashlight, and the rattling of rounds in the cylinder can give away your position under stress.

Personally, I view it like a toolbox. I take whatever I think I'll need. From snubbie revolvers, to full-sized Berettas, I've carried about every combination, and in the end, it's about what you're comfortable with, and can hit the target with. The only time I've regretted my choice was when I had to blast a huge attacking dog with a .380. Even with silver glazers, and solid chest hits, he didn't go down immediately. He did turn and bolt away to die, but under those circumstances, you'd really like to see an immediate impact!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts