Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid assed higher ups take our best fighting men and women guns away from them is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I was in basic training at Ft Bragg n.c in 1968. we carried shotgun ammo for our rem 870 when on guard duty. what the **** is wrong with guys. issis wants to kill our men and women and we take their guns away. I say reissue 45s to all of them anywhere anytime. with at least 6 clips.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I can think of one reason why some higher-ups in the military wouldn't want a bunch of troops armed all the time. Some of the NCO's and believe it, or not, some of the officers are a-holes. These types would have to learn to be a bit more civil to the troops if the troops were all armed. I had a couple of First Sergeants that would not have made it if the guys had been armed all the time. There was one particular Major that no one would have shed a tear over either.

In addition, some of the troops are real dipwads too and shouldn't be in the military to begin with. One guy I knew when I was stationed on a SAC base, had a few too many beers under his belt and started a one man assault with a 22 revolver on a B-52 loaded with H-bombs sitting on the alert pad. I wonder whatever became of that genius.

The fact is, a lot of us had our own guns, but not too many carried while on duty; it wouldn't have been practical. There were armed combat defense force and air police all over the place and if I remember right, nearly everyone who worked in the bomb storage area were armed. I always felt good about the armed to the teeth guards right outside our hangar who were guarding the aircraft 24/7, but what a mind numbing boring job.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Many years ago when I was in the Marine Corps anyone on guard duty had a loaded weapon. The MPs working in town had loaded 45s though not one in the chamber. I am sure all that has changed in the brave new world!

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
For the same reason you don't let attack dogs run loose unless their handler is there. Do you really think the MILITARY personnel have the SAME rights as everyone else ??? That they can come and go, say what they want, do things that typical civilians can get away with?? You have a whole group of people whom's entire existence is living PROOF that violence is the ultimate answer to problems--- and you wonder why the superiors fear to arm them ??

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
For the most part, our military guys are not attack dogs; in general, they are America's finest and they sure as **** don't need handlers. They need to be respected for what they are and what they do. Some of the best guys I've ever been associated with were in the Air Force, but yes there were a few that shouldn't have been there. Just the same as the average police force has a few misfits, but most are also America's finest. Most of us would never think it a good idea to disarm, our police. Neither should our great military people be left defenseless--especially with the way the world is these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts