Graybeard Outdoors banner

Will a well placed 223 kill a deer?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Mac11700 
#1 ·
You will never be able to tell my little 8 year old that a well placed 223 wont drop a deer in it's tracks. Man am I proud. All the shooting off the bench I have done with him paid off on his first whitetail deer hunt. Got in the shooting house about 4:00 and 15 minutes later the opportunity arrived. 80 yards, dropped like a sack of taters. What a feeling to be there for my youngest frist deer of many. I am one proud dad right now.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Wiil a well placed 223 kill a deer?

quickdtoo said:
Congrats to your son and you, I'd bet your smile is as big as his!! :D

Tim
Tim,

After the shot, he gave me the biggest hug with the biggest smile I have ever seen on him. One I will never forget.

#7 ·
holahead said:
If you don't mind could you tell us what round you was using. Oh tell your son CONGATS!!!! ;)
Not at all holahead. We are using the Remington 55gr pointed soft point. I have always liked using a pointed soft point round on whitetail.

Now if Fusion would only come out with a 223 cartridge ;D

#11 ·
statelinerut said:
holahead said:
If you don't mind could you tell us what round you was using. Oh tell your son CONGATS!!!! ;)
Not at all holahead. We are using the Remington 55gr pointed soft point. I have always liked using a pointed soft point round on whitetail.

Now if Fusion would only come out with a 223 cartridge ;D
Congratulations for your Son & You...

I was hoping to get to report the same thing this weekend...but my son got extremely ill with the flu & strep throat...so he didn't get to go for the youth hunt...and is really bummed about it...Lord willing we will be hunting during the regular firearms portion or even the late hunt in December...

As to your wishing they come out with a Fusion load...Well...they already have...but...it was released by mistake this year...My Cabela's has the mixed up ammo here in St.Louis...and was selling it for $5.87 a box...It was in the Federal American Eagle 63 grain soft point box...The UPC codes are the exact same on the box...and the only way you will know the difference is to open the box...and look at the brass head stamp...If...it is stamped LC with a cross in a circle on it...That is Lake City brass with the 63 grain Fusion bullet ...If it is stamped FC...that is the 63 grain Sierra bullet and Federal case...I called and spoke with Federal about them after I was told by an employee at Cabelas...they confirmed it to me...Federal is going to be releasing it next year like this in their T.R.U ammo line...and it will be much more expensive...Heck...it's a steal at these prices...the brass alone is worth more...I bought a couple cases to just have on hand with it...

Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.