Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got drawen for Muzzloader Moose. Now to see if the Huntsman will shoot the powerbelts well enough for this hunt.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gee, if I was so lucky I'd be tempted to up my tried and true load on deer
from 90gr 777, 295pb, to 100gr 777 and 348 Powerbelt... I'm 5 for 5 on deer with no walk offs!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would also try the 460 N0-Excuses, or even the 495 if your barrel will spin them true. Don't forget to try felt Wonder-wads or 'over the powder nito cards' under your big lead slugs. The cards or felt protect the base of the bullet from the Blast!
http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page3.html

Don't use a hollow point bullet, you need penitration, not expansion.

·
Banned
802 Posts
Given my personal observations on powerbelts as well as some matching firsthand experiences, I wouldn't shoot a powerbelt at a moose.

Too many other good bullets out there. I'd suggest a .430 LBT wide meplat design weighing in at 300 or more grains in wheel weights oven hardened to about 20bhn. The Lee 310 grain .430 bullet would be just as good. $15 dollar mold and free wheel weights with some inexpensive Hornady sabots and you will shoot all day for the price of a few packs of powebelts.

Just my .02 cents worth although you might take it for a penny :grin:

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I agree with Longcruise but then I am sold on cast bullets. Thats about all I use anymore except for in my 6.5 Swede. You want penetration a heavy cast lead bullet will do it. I do not think they have to be hardened though pure lead will still penetrate Very Well. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I second the 460 grain No-Excuses conical, either that or an old White 430gr Super Slug will be my Elk load in Colorado this fall. :wink: Still have a little more shooting to do though. :grin:

·
Banned
802 Posts
I do not think they have to be hardened though pure lead will still penetrate Very Well. Jim
I would not disagree with the effectiveness of an unhardened bullet at ml velocities. Just that with an animal as large as a moose I woudl want to maintain the integrity of the meplat for good penetration and wound channel.

I second the 460 grain No-Excuses conical, either that or an old White 430gr Super Slug will be my Elk load in Colorado this fall. Still have a little more shooting to do though.
Hey Busta, where are you planning to hunt when you come out for Elk? I'm a transplanted (many years ago) Yooper.

Be sure to measure the length of the bullet you pick. In CO it can't be longer than two calibers. So, 1 inch for a .50 or 1.08 inch for a .54. You are probably well within with the No Excuses but it don't hurt to know in advance. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Longcruise,

Cool! Both my kids were born in da U.P., eh! I was stationed at K. I. Sawyer AFB for 10 years (82-92). What part of the Yoop are ya from? I sure do miss living up there, but wouldn't mind it where you are now either. :grin: I live in the middle of the mitten now. My son graduated from H.S. this year and my daughter turns 16 in less than a month. :cry:

Hey, I have a question for you. Do you know if the .25 ACP primer is legal in CO, the regs say shotgun primers? What is the difference in the actual primer anyways? I guess I'll have to call the DOW and see if it is considered the same thing in the actual regs.

I am aware of the bullet length, the 460 No Excuses comes in under 1.00", about .970". The White 430 Super Slug shoots really well but has a much smaller meplat. We hunted up on the Grand Mesa back in '02, took me three years to draw again. In the past it was every other year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Busta,

The 25 ACP is legal in Colorado. I spent Friday and Saturday up on the Grand Mesa feeding mosquitoes and looking for elk. The 100 + degree temperatures of Palisade make it easy to find excuses to go up there.

BeanMan

·
Registered
147 Posts
BeanMan, Where did you get your info from? Hard to believe they would allow one and not the other.
Thanks,
BS

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
BS,

Shotgun primers are legal. I was just wondering how the Colorado DOW looked at the other primers stuck in a small cartridge case. I know the percussion caps and flintlock are also legal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I stand corrected, they changed the law since 2004, nice to know, Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
After a quick check of Colorado Regs I found that primed pistol brass is not covered. I sent a email to CDOW asking for clarification. Don't hold your breath though, they take their time answering. I'll bug the local office by phone tomorrow. What I have found in the past when dealing with the local office is if it is not covered by the big game pamphlet then they don't know the answer.

209's have been legal for a few years now.

We'll get an offical answer soon.

BeanMan

·
Banned
802 Posts
What part of the Yoop are ya from? I sure do miss living up there, but wouldn't mind it where you are now either.
I grew up in Ontonagon but spent my summers living with my grandparents in Grand Marais, which is between Marquette and the Soo. If I couldn't live somewhere in the Rockies as I do Now, I'd sure want to be back in the UP!

Hey, I have a question for you. Do you know if the .25 ACP primer is legal in CO, the regs say shotgun primers? What is the difference in the actual primer anyways? I guess I'll have to call the DOW and see if it is considered the same thing in the actual regs
I don't know the answer to that. You can call the DOW main office in DEnver and ask, but it's my guess that they won't even know what you are talking about! :) You can call there three days in a row and ask three different people the same question and get three different answers. :eek: I'd say go ahead and use 'em, but don't expect me to testify at the trial. :)

We hunted up on the Grand Mesa back in '02, took me three years to draw again.
I haven't hunted Grand Mesa for years. Looks like on paper there are plenty of elk up there. One of my son in laws grew up in Parachute and he knows it pretty well but we don't go over there cause we have some pretty good "statewide" areas close to home.

Good luck this year, hope you whack a big one! :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Longcruise said:
Good luck this year, hope you whack a big one! :grin:
Thanks, you too! :grin:

I know what you mean about the DOW, our DNR is no different when you are trying to get an answer. :?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just got off the phone with the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

Primed pistol brass is legal as a ignition system in Colorado.

BeanMan

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Thanks BeanMan!

Did you get a name of who you talked too? I need to e-mail them and I would like to have something I could copy from DOW to carry in my wallet. Just because not everyone is always on the same page when it comes to unwritten regs. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Busta,

Sorry, didn't think to get the persons name. I called the Denver office and talked to some gal, she had know idea what I was talking about. Was put on hold for 5 minutes while she went and asked someone.

They have yet to return my email. You might want to try that because if you get a response back you can print it and keep it as a record.

http://www.wildlife.state.co.us/

Beanman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts