Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
William Green Plans

Hello DD, those two cannon are really nice looking. I know you spent many hours working those up. I had the pleasure to know Bill Green and he gave me a bunch of cannon plans but I like mortars since they don't have any complicated wheels etc. to make. I like the looks of Bill's Dahlgren guns and they have a pretty simple mount. Maby I will tackle one of those after I build my current project....a bowling ball mortar!
By the way, Bill Green died a few years ago. Thanks again for the plans you sent me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
William Green Plans

Hello DD, those two cannon are really nice looking. I know you spent many hours working those up. I had the pleasure to know Bill Green and he gave me a bunch of cannon plans but I like mortars since they don't have any complicated wheels etc. to make. I like the looks of Bill's Dahlgren guns and they have a pretty simple mount. Maby I will tackle one of those after I build my current project....a bowling ball mortar!
By the way, Bill Green died a few years ago. Thanks again for the plans you sent me!
I know this is an old posting but I’m looking for a set of willi
William Green Plans

Do you have a set of William greens plans? I’ve looked everywhere for them but no luck yet

·
7,195 Posts
Ya know, maybe it's time to scan these things again and I will post them on my web site.

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the folder-actually multiple folders of cannon plans. Of the Green plans there are 76 pages. I am not of mind at this time to sit down and spend the afternoon scanning. This stack of plans need sorted, aligned and smoothed out. There are several duplicates and these need pulled from the master stack These plans are wrinkle and rolled a bit so they will not feed reliably through my scanner. Perh

Right now I will list the plans I have. I will copy a specific set upon request and send out the scans in an email So for now here is the list.

These the William green scale model plans and the titles are his..

1. Firing model of the Dictator 13" Seacoast Mortar,M-1861
2. Widow Blakely
3. 9 in Dahlgren Shellgun on a Navy Marsilly Carriage
4. 12 PDR field Howitzer Model 1841
5. 32 PDR Seascoast Cannon on a Front Pintle Case mate Carriage/
6, 100 PDR Parrot Seacoast Rifle on a Front Pintle Barbette Carriage
7. 10" Rodman
8. 12 PDR Mountain Howitzer
9. 9" Dahlgren Seacoast Shell gun on a Front Pintle Barbette Carriage
10.Firing model 3 inch Parrott Field Rifle
11. Napoleon M-1857, 12 PDR Field Cannon
12 42 Pounder (m-1814) From U.S.S. Cairo.
13 Firing model Napoleon Field Gun
14 3" Ordnance rifle
15. Firing model 6 PDR Field Gun
16. 24 Pounder field Howitzer
17. Tool post Grinder
18. Model builder hand vise

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do have the Green plans. What gun are you interested in?
I need page 2 of the USS Cairo 42 pdr gun also if William green had plans for a civil war field gun would be nice. I’m not at all familiar with any other plans of his that’s why I have been looking for a site to download his plans. So if you could provide copies of these or any other I would greatly appreciate it. And is there a place that would have PDF copies for a download?
Respectfully michael

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suggest you do a Google image search to see what each gun looks like. Here are the field guns

14 3" Ordnance rifle

Drop me a pm with email for the Cairo Plans. These are the most dog eared of the plan sets i have. I upscaled and built this gun with a one inch bore in 1984. It is the first real cannon I built.

There are 76 pages and these plans have been in storage and have taken a roll and wrinkle. I will have to hand feed them through the scanner. I will do this by request one plan set at a time- by specific request. I have other things on the agenda. But I will do the one set at a time,

·
7,195 Posts
You might have the digitized versions on one of your backup drives.

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After searching a backup drive as suggested by George, I found multiple copies of the drawing already scanned in. Thank you George.

The plans listed in bold below are the ones I have already scanned in,

George I will be sending them to you via your gmail account.

1. Firing model of the Dictator 13" Seacoast Mortar,M-1861
2. Widow Blakely
3. 9 in Dahlgren Shellgun on a Navy Marsilly Carriage
5. 32 PDR Seascoast Cannon on a Front Pintle Case mate Carriage/
6, 100 PDR Parrot Seacoast Rifle on a Front Pintle Barbette Carriage
7. 10" Rodman
9. 9" Dahlgren Seacoast Shell gun on a Front Pintle Barbette Carriage

12 42 Pounder (m-1814) From U.S.S. Cairo.
13 Firing model Napoleon Field Gun
14 3" Ordnance rifle

17. Tool post Grinder
18. Model builder hand vise

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
The drawing "Plate One of Two" shows the capsquare bolts to be lag screws. I highly discourage that.
They certainly can fail with recoil.
They need to be through bolts. The front one needs to go through the axle.
Zulu

Line Material property Font Motor vehicle Rectangle

Vehicle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

Wheel Font Motor vehicle Wood Art

This last picture doesn't show the path of the front bolt but I assure you it goes through the axle.

·
Super Moderator
16,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Green plans above are for a 59 caliber model cannon. For a small gun like this screws are just fine, but through bolts are stronger.

The Carriage on my 1841 U.S.S. Cairo gun is parallel sided and made from black locust.wood. The gun was made in 1984 and has been fired a lot and with some heavy loads. In 2008 I refurb the gun with the intention of rebuilding the capsquare screws with through bolts. When the gun was disassembled the screws were so tight that I did not try to take them out, I left them--a credit to the hardness of black locust wood.

I have been shooting this gun with these screws and haven't ever had a problem. Oops wait minute, That is the phrase everyone uses after their cannon blows up.

No Seriously, this is sound advice form Michael. Follow his advice and you will save your self some grief. I have not built another carriage- since with screws, they have all been through bolted.

From the little 50 Caliber SAMCC gun to the 8.6 inch bowling ball mortar----all through bolted.

·
7,195 Posts
So I have loaded the first two sets of plans on my web site. I can see that there is going to be some confusion regarding access to these pages so I will create a sticky entry with a list of the guns and sub-entries for all of the pages for each gun.

The listing is in the Cannon FAQS, ... sticky at William Green Model Cannon Plans.

·
7,195 Posts
Four more plan sets for the M1857 Napoleon, the M1841 6 Pdr, the Widow Blakely and the IX Inch Dahlgren Shell gun have been added to the list.

All the plans are posted now.

·
7,195 Posts
Added "Wm Green Plans" to the thread title.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts