Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a buddy with a nice model 100 winchester in .308. He is on his 3rd stock. The back of the action works just like a chisel again the stock and chips out a large piece of wood after just a couple of boxes of ammo...

Any idea why this would be happening. The action is secured tight in the stock by the screw that goes thru the but..

Thanks for any help you can offer..

DonT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Win. 100 /.308 chipping out stock at back o

Cant say i know why it is happening, but id go down to the marina and get a box of marine tek and bed it.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts

The recoil plate at the rear of the action is not properly bedded. I prefer acraglass gel but SeanD is right. Bad bedding is the cause and the fix is a good glass bedding job. Might be best taken to a pro. Good luck from the gunnut69

·
Registered
9 Posts

:) Don I have a 100 and Hunted with it for years and never had any proble like you decribe. my is a 308 you didn't say what his was. mite try to talk to some at winchester arm.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Gunnut69 is righr. I have owned several Model 100, still have a .284 Carbine and my trusty .308. I had a 100 several years ago and it chipped the back of the stock at the rear plate. I simply glass bedded it and never had another problem. I have since done my .308 but not the .284. Just might someday

1 - 5 of 5 Posts