Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot an old model 94 in 30-30 for Cowboy Rifle silhouette. Saturday, during a match, when I jacked a new round into the chamber, a second round shot out, under the follower. I had to take out the magazine spring and unload it this way. The round causing the problem was between the follower and the lever.

After I got the spring out and got the round started back out of the tube, it would only go part way and stuck there until I closed the lever, then it fell out of the tube.

This gun was manufactured in 1952 and has had some use but the barrel is still in good shape and it shoots 3 inch groups with a receiver sight at 200 yards.

What I need to know is how serious is this. I am not a gunsmith and I don't have any idea of how to get this gun apart or what to look for when I do. I am handy with tools though and do fix broken springs in my Thompson Contender all of the time.

If this is a simple fix I will do it but if it is not I will probably have to wait until fall to get it fixed. If I take it to a gunsmith, it will be out of commission for 3 months before it even gets looked at and I will miss all of the summer matches. I can still meet the rule requirement by single loading one bullet into the magazine tube and working the lever to get it into the barrel. I will have time to do it in a match but I would rather have a nice easy fix and use it like it was intended to be used.

Any help is appreciated.

Sixgun

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I know all gunsmiths are busy and it takes a while for you to get a gun back from them but I would think if you explain you need the gun for shooting matches I would think most gunsmiths would put a rush on it for you. If they do not I would look for a new gunsmith. Jim

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here is a late reply and you may have resolved your problem by now. I had the same problem and just fixed it myself. I had a brand new Win 94 doing this. I sent it back to Winchester and 6 weeks later get the gun back from the factory with the same problem. (So much for customer service). Considering that Winchester was unable/unwilling to fix it, I took on the project myself. I will go through the things I tried since it may not actually be your gun.
1) If your brass is worn and does not have a very square edge for the "tit" to catch it may slide over the edge and jam things up. If these are old worn reloads, consider new brass. I bought new brass and still had the problem so I had to do two things.
2) I disassembled the action and took my dremel buffing wheel and smoother out the action so the ramp would drop with minimal friction. Since you have a old well used rifle this is probably not a problem.

3)Next I took a file and sharpened the "tit" from the front/underneath side. When I felt it, it was a smooth corner snd the brass would slip over it. Don't go from the top side as this will lower the height and make the problem worse. By making a sharper edge, it catches the rim of the brass much better and I have not had the problem since. As a last resort, if this does not work, consider building it up a little higher with a welder and reforming the edge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts