Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few articles that said not to use 296 except at max load. Is 296 a good powder for say 250-300gr cast at 850 to 1200 fps. I am using the 296 to reload 410's and would like to use one powder if possible.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
At the upper limit of your velocity, yes. If you want to go slower, move to a faster powder. There are a lot of good ones and a pound of powder will last longer with the lighter loads. W 296 and H-110 are the same and made to operate under a certain amount of pressure. If not up to that pressure, you can get "squib" loads and maybe stick a bullet in the barrel. Could have other issues with pressure spikes, ect. Don't use a cresent wrench for a hammer, use the right tool,(powder) for the job. DP

·
Registered
63 Posts
My Lyman's 48th edition has loads pushing a 300 gr cast (#429650) between 982 and 1,064 fps for 296 and between 976 and 1,036 fps for H110. Those are in the pistol section using a 4" barrel. All of those loads are >34,000 CUP so I don't know if I'd call them low pressure rounds. The lower pressure loads are using something like Blue Dot or IMR-4227.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
By all means, head the warnings on the labels. "Not for less than full pressure loads"! 296/110 has that warning for a reason. They do not take kindly to light loadings.

Your health is worth more than the cost of a pound of powder!

Regards,
Sweetwater

·
2,655 Posts
I have put a lot of lead down range in mag revolvers with 296, and believe it when they say full power loads with a good crimp only. Reduced loads show pressure spikes, un burned powder, poor consistancy and accuracy. Invest the $20 it takes for the right powder. Unique for example, is a good mid range powder. If you use red dot in your shotgun loading, you will find it also makes a fine target load powder in big bore revolvers.

Larry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys that's what I wanted to know. I'll probably look into the red dot. I love this site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.