Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I stopped in at one of my favorite shops. It is a second hand store that's been in business for over 40 years. Last week when I was there I noticed a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge with a solid rib. I looked at it today and saw that it was chambered for 2 3/4 shells. It locks up tight and the barrel is bright and shiny inside, so I bought it, filled out the paperwork, and it comes home in 10 days. Hot diggity dog!!!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Congratulations. Nice to see someone else who appreciates Model 12's. Solid rib guns have always been a little hard to come by.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir. I like that it has most of it's finish still and love looking down the length of the rib and connecting the posts. My dad had a 32" 12 gauge M12 with a solid rib and I always loved hefting that and sighting down the rib. Both of the barrels I have for my 12 ga. are plain barrels. I was at my local Sportsman's store today and they had 16 ga. shells, so the next time I go there I'll use my 2 box limit to buy some of them.

·
23,610 Posts
very cool gun. I had a 20 that was grandpas that i gave to one of my nephews. Probably the coolest shotgun ive owned.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thank you, sir. I like that it has most of it's finish still and love looking down the length of the rib and connecting the posts. My dad had a 32" 12 gauge M12 with a solid rib and I always loved hefting that and sighting down the rib. Both of the barrels I have for my 12 ga. are plain barrels. I was at my local Sportsman's store today and they had 16 ga. shells, so the next time I go there I'll use my 2 box limit to buy some of them.
Thats quite a coincidence. My Dad was a Model 12 guy and his 32" solid rib heavy duck was always his favorite. Dad's been gone a little over a year now. His Model 12's are the last of his collection that I need to bring home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ex 49er I have a box of federal dove load 7.5 shot 16 GA.shells only 23 in box I will give you if you pay the shipping . I live in SC you can text me at 843-812-0 five one eight.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am glad to hear that you found one in the 2 3/4" chamber. I worked at a certified repair shop and I had to break the news to owners that it was expensive to set up a Model 12 for 2 3/4 chamber when they were 2 9/16. It is all about the fine print. Congrats and I hope that you enjoy your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ex 49er I have a box of federal dove load 7.5 shot 16 GA.shells only 23 in box I will give you if you pay the shipping . I live in SC you can text me at 843-812-0 five one eight.
Jim
Thank you for the offer, Jim. I looked in my stash and found 3 1/2 boxes, so I should be good to go with them and I'll use my 2 bx. per day limit at Sportsman's on something else. I live in Commie-fornia. I'm not a hunter, just a plinker and the boxes I have will probably last me longer than I'll live.
Mark

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad to hear that you found one in the 2 3/4" chamber. I worked at a certified repair shop and I had to break the news to owners that it was expensive to set up a Model 12 for 2 3/4 chamber when they were 2 9/16. It is all about the fine print. Congrats and I hope that you enjoy your new purchase.
The 1st 16 ga. I owned was a 2 9/16 chamber. Another of the local shops has 4 - 16's and one is marked 2 3/4; but, it is an aftermarket stamping and the price is almost twice what I paid for mine. When I saw the barrel marking, I got very excited and that was when I knew I was going to buy it. After I bought my 20 ga. M12, I was looking at extra barrels. Someone on Flea-bay had a whole front end in 20 ga. at a great price; but, after communicating with him , he discovered that it was a 2 1/2" chamber thanks to some research from me. Yepper; Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
24 Posts
over 50 yrs ago I was fortunate enough to find a 16 ga. model 12 with 2 3/4” chamber.Think the price was 65.00. Had a 16 ga. At the time so had shells with me at the time. bird season was open at the time. Was able to stop at one of my spots on the way home where we could usually jump a grouse (partridge) or two.long story shot I put one up and first shot from my new used model 12 had a bird down. That old model 12just fit me perfectly.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 20 gauge is a Full choke and I wish is was a cylinder. Probably the only way to accomplish that is to cut the barrel down. I did that with my spare 12 gauge barrel. With the 16 gauge, I'm gonna leave it like it is. I don't want to ruin that solid rib, especially since I'm not hunting with it.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cutting down an original Model 12 barrel is just crazy talk...........:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
My spare 12 gauge barrel was already cut down; when I bought it, it was 25 inches long and had an accuchoke on it. Now it's a 20" no choke barrel and it was a bunny killer in that length.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My spare 12 gauge barrel was already cut down; when I bought it, it was 25 inches long and had an accuchoke on it. Now it's a 20" no choke barrel and it was a bunny killer in that length.
I had a little South Bend lathe that had a drawer completely full of poly-chokes that I removed from Model 12's. I also had swaging tools I made to put some choke back in them. They shot surprisingly well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts