Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New job is finally easing up. I have time and energy at the end of the day. I picked up a beat up 670 rifle at one of the local pawns a while ago. I started working on it last week. I will start adding pics shortly. Project goals are to make my own pillars and bed the action. Rework the stock by adding walnut and ebony spacers. Reconture the stock. Maybe some carving. Don't know about that yet. I am not very good at relief carving. I am also replacing the plastic butt plate with a shoulder friendly recoil pad. Then comes the sight work, trigger work and metal finish work.

Reactions: 336ER

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I had one in 243 years ago - it shot damn good. Ordered a classic stock with cheek piece from Bishop for it. Really dressed it up. Look forward to seeing what you do to yours.

Reactions: 8uck5nort

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics as promised:

Well here she be. It was missing the sight hood and rear sight. I believe it had a fixed 4x scope on it when I picked it up.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Building

It is functional, just needs a little TLC.

Wood Metal Tool Bicycle part Engineering

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Building

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use aluminum round stock and chuck it up in my HF mini lathe. I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination. But I can make some decent pillars and even a custom trigger guard pillar for the screw just behind the mag well.

Machine tool Gas Engineering Office equipment Machine

Gas Machine tool Wood Machine Engineering

I did get a chip up when I removed the stock metal grommet. I glued it down. Stock is going to be completely sanded down and refinished so in the end you should be able to tell.

Wood Guitar accessory Wood stain Hardwood Musical instrument accessory

Another view of the front action pillar after bedding. I only bedded the pillars so far.

Wood Rim Material property Natural material Bicycle part

This is the custom pillar I machined for the trigger guard.

Office supplies Writing implement Office instrument Tool Pen

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So after I got the pillars machined and installed I set about making changes to stock itself. I have some ebony and walnut so I set about making spacers and blocks suitable for end cap and grip cap.

I have been working on these for the past couple of nights and have them epoxied on and roughed in.

Tool Wood Saw Motor vehicle Engineering

Prepped the grip cap area.

Wood Bicycle part Tool Bumper Auto part

Grip cap block and ebony spacer

Wood Headgear Hat Blazer Art

forearm cap and ebony spacer

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

Epoxy time! Messy process. I always take sawdust and mix it in with clear epoxy to match the wood I am affixing. It hides not so perfect mating surfaces from time to time.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Close-up Metal

and the forearm cap.

Wood Gas Tool Machine Metal

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After letting the epoxy cure for 24 hours I began the shaping work using a mix of belt sander, dremel sanding, wood rasps, and block sanding. Lots and lots of block sanding....

Saw Wood Tool Hand tool Gas

oh yeah and a drill to help excavate wood from forearm barrel channel, Then rasp, Then some sand paper wrapped around a socket of the roughly the same size as the barrel.

Next rough shaping the walnut blocks.

Wood Gas Hardwood Lumber Plywood

More shaping

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

different views

Wood Table Automotive design Automotive wheel system Dishware

another view

Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Bicycle part Wood Gas

and I started blending and thinning out the stock. The factory stock is solid. But not refined. It still needs a lot of reshaping. I am going to have figure out what I am going to do with the aweful pressed checkering. Still debating on carving a basket weave with some oak leaves. I have drawn up some designs, but a little hesitant as I am not that good at carving.

Motor vehicle Wood Engineering Tank Combat vehicle

I ordered a threading die to make bedding screws so I can glass bed the action and first inch or so of the barrel. I am also ordering a brown grind to fit recoil pad with a black spacer. I have also started to rework the cheek rest and added a shadow line.

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Very nice work!

· Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,837 Posts
(y) Very nice work!

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worked some more on the stock. I also spent some time practicing carving some simple oak leaves and basket weave patterns on some scrap wood. I think I have figured out some techniques that will help me pull this off.

Automotive design Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

A close up with a little bit Minwax tung oil just to see glimpse of what the finish will look like,

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part

One more pic.

Table Shelf Wood Picture frame Flooring

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got in a good day working on this project. The Hogue EZG recoil pad shoed up today. So I set about getting the shaped and installed. I also have one initial coat of minwax ont the stock. I do this to look for the spots that need further work. I also do an initial coat to help with drawing the carving pattern on the stock. After some more sanding and cleaning up dings and scratches I will do a 120 grit sanding with minwax and start to fill in the pores and seal up the stock.

Head Natural material Wood Fawn Horn

the other side.

Arthropod Natural material Wood Fawn Insect

some close ups

Rectangle Wood Hardwood Beige Tints and shades

more pics

Human body Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood

Carving pattern idea I drew up last night.

Wood Font Tool Rectangle Hardwood

My practice piece.

Wood Rectangle Beige Flooring Tints and shades

· Registered
828 Posts
I've worked on a lot of stocks through the years, from military to kit guns. I've never done anything like that. At first, I was wondering about the blond stock, but I like it! The cap, tip and recoil pad really set it off. As for the basket weave, I'm not worthy!

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Progress update.

My threading die came in and I set about making bedding screws. I had some old steel 1/4 inch roll stock laying aroun. So I chucked it up in the lathe and set to work.

Air gun Military camouflage Machine gun Trigger Wood

Musical instrument Wood Bicycle part Bicycle fork String instrument

So next free weekend I have I will bed the action. Once the bedding is done then I will start carving the basketweave.
I have been practicing and working on the actual design elements.

Rectangle Wood Font Artifact Cuisine

Hand Wood Finger Bicycle part Bicycle saddle

I purchased some new chisels and gouges. I also spent tonight sharpening my old chisels and gouges. I still may need to make some custom tools to do this job and hopefully do it justice. I even broke out my home brewed checkering cradle.

Wood Table Gas Engineering Machine

Reactions: 336ER and ncsHR2000

· Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Hey bucksnort, Glad to see you are playing with gun projects ! For quite a while I didn’t see you post anything and wondered what you were up to.
You have always had great skills with the stock work, I remember what you did with the old Styer 95 in 445 SM and thought it was great !
I still have a bunch of gun projects waiting for me to get back to and finish them up. My problem is I keep buying more guns that just need a little work and don’t get back to the older projects that need complete rebarreling and parts made to finish them.
say Hi to your wife and boys for me !

jedman

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Jedman. Hope all is going well with you. Changed jobs 2 years ago and it has been nothing but work. I know what you mean with projects. I am better at project starting than project finishing. That is why I down sized my project list and I am trying to get this one across the finish line before I move onto another one.

Reactions: jedman

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Busy, busy, busy. About three years ago my Dad and I cut up some black cherry that had come down in a storm. I had him set aside about a 5' straight as I could get about 20 inch diameter section. We rough cut two nice raw blanks out of it yesterday. It took everything that 20 inch Stihl Farmboss had to get through that cherry. My dad is OCD when it comes to his chain saws and keeping them sharp. He could not believe how difficult it was to post and split that piece of lumber. Anyway I hope to get 2-4 nice rifle size stocks out of that piece. Cherry makes for a nice stock, but it is hard on tools.
Wood Shade Car Tree Asphalt

Anyway back to the 670. I decided bed the action. I am becoming more proficient with my carving skills so I am just about ready to start that phase. Bedding is messy so getting this out of the is probably a good idea before carving.

The good: I got a nice clean impression of lug are which is the most important to me in my mind.

Wood Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Engineering

I used JB weld mixed with black high gloss enamal model paint. It looks a dark gray, but when sealed with a clear coat takes on a black glossy look which goes with the black ebony accents. It is not perfect, but it will do. Oh and the bedding screws worked perfectly.

the tang area

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Wheel

I use a dremel with various shaped diamond, stone and drum sanding bits to clean up the inevtiable flow out. I did not dam any area on this project. I might go ahead and bed the whole action. No not sure yed.

Now the Bad. While I was seating the action in the stock during the bedding process i was tightening the screws down to seat firmly on the pillars. I heard a loud pop. I honestly did not know what or where it had come from so I happily carried on with the bedding job at hand. It was not until I strated removing masking tape that I notices a gap between the fore end cap and ebony spacer. Apparently I had forgotten to work the barrel channel down to let the barrel free float. Stupid mistake. But what ya gonna do? Luckily it was a clean break at the epoxy joint. So I rough it up carefully with some block sanding. Dremeled up some more ebony wood sawdust and went to work.

Wood Gas Engineering Tool Table

And a close up of my mistake so I remember to complete the prior step before moving on...

Wood Gas Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

It should clean up and hopefully not be noticeable.

· Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ready or not here we go with basket weave. I have spent hours practicing on a piece of scrap cherry. I believe the stock is a softer wood. All I can say is I will have to take my time and work a little at a time to fight off fatigue. It is tedious. I am now drawing in the final designs and will begin the actual carving. I opted to draw in the designs since I am hiding pressed in checkering. Pre-drawing designs on trace paper and then carbon tracing them on would have been easier, but nearly impossible to line up with the old pressed lines that are still there. Plus I can tune the lines tto follow the curves better when I free hand draw them in. I hope to be done carving by the end of March. The drawing alone in the pics took about 2 hours this evening. I have not even started the other side.
Food Table Wood Rectangle Computer keyboard

fore arm basket weave drawn in. The dots mark where I will drill out the wood. Then use a chisel to square and excavate.

Property Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

Still drawing in the grip area.

Wood Gesture Flooring Floor Art

Not sure if the Big leaf and then small leaf will look right once it's done. That may change depending on how it actually looks once its drawn in.

Reactions: 336ER and ncsHR2000
1 - 20 of 27 Posts