Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sony has been acting up.. the mouse. touch pad has been acting bad and not working from time to time
i finally had enough and went out and bought a dell inspiron laptop with a touch screen running windows 10
i fiddled around with it , and wow, cant do a damn thing with it without signing up, paying or buying into something
so i downloaded linux mint 18 with the cinnamon desktop for it, but it took me 3 hours to get past the secure boot feature windows has ( prevents booting from the disc drive, so you can overwrite the operating system )
setting up a 3rd boot option and writing some code so i can boot from the disc first.. so i can run the install files from a disc ..
couldnt even find the bios setting in windows 10 .. they had it hidden well. but i found it , changed the bios settings, wrote a 3rd boot option, and turned off the secure boot and legacy options and then i can reboot with the disc first with the linux files.. took me 3 hours !
but i got it all worked out, and the best part is , the touch screen on this dell still works with the mint 18 operating system as does all the multi media codec and blue tooth programs ..
now i have a nice dell laptop with dual processors ( @1.9 mhz ) and dual hhd's @ 500 gb each
touch screen and blue tooth running the newest and nicest linux disto yet ( 18 sarah with the cinnamon desktop enviro ) did i mention windows 10 really sucks ?

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
You're more computer savvy than me. I didn't understand a word of that ;D

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows has programming that prevents you from removing it and replacing it... but I got past that programming and did replace it with a different operating system
Linux Mint version 18

1 - 3 of 3 Posts