Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I downloaded my reserved copy of Windows 10 for one of my laptops and I have to say that it all sounded pretty interesting, but so far it sucks. But to be fair, I really haven't done my homework on this thing. I tried to get all signed in with Microsoft "so I could get all the extra benefits", but that turned out to be a pita; they said someone already has the email address I gave them. I doubt that is possible. Anyway, that didn't go well, so now I'm having to start all over adding my favorites to the browser. And speaking of the browser, the new one they are offering sucks too--so far.

It will probably get better, but I expected Microsoft to have it all together on this one. I think they need a new design team, or turn it over to Intel, Google, or someone.

·
24,482 Posts
Windows is virus and malware bait anyway. 10 years on one PC using Linux and not a problem one.
No virus software to buy, and I can now do anything on Linux that you can on windows.
And if you can run windows, you can run Linux.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
yepper ! i have been using linux mint for a while now, and love it ..

i cant believe i have not switched away from windows sooner, i feel stupid for not.

·
24,482 Posts
Scibaer said:
yepper ! i have been using linux mint for a while now, and love it ..

i cant believe i have not switched away from windows sooner, i feel stupid for not.

I felt the same way, why did I spend all those years fighting with windows?
When I do get on a computer using windows all I can think of is how primitive it is.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i have a sony laptop. i have a 500gb hard drive with 3 partitions. i have a dual boot setup with 1 partition that i can access from either windows 7 premium or linux mint ( cinnamon desktop , rebecca version ) ..
when i boot to windows , i feel like its so outdated and primitive to work in.
with linux , its so fast and light, with 100's of free software and apps... its funny, i have been reading about windows 10.. they are offering it free now ( beta update from 7 and 8 i thin ), but its what ? $200 for something 10 years behind where linux is now.. and linux never costs a thing, nor does all the available software...

·
24,482 Posts
Mine is Ubuntu, buts it's been updated each time a new one came out. I used to have to use Wine to run any windows program, which worked pretty well. But now Ubuntu can run windows apps but it keeps them behind a
partition like your talking about. But now days most software company's offer Linux based software as well.
A lot of people don't know this, but if your cell phone is using an Android OS, that's a Linux based OS.
And when they find that out they always say that's easy to run, I thought Linux was so hard to learn?
It really isn't, Linux just calls things by different names I mastered it within a couple of hours.
And the best part, no viruses or malware without the hassle of buying that garbage called protection
software. But I like Apple too, but not as much as I do Linux.

·
24,482 Posts
Tommyt said:
More windows complaints

I'll stick with the Fruit

My daughters new Microsoft cell phone has an Android OS on it. Not even one of their own.
But I had an iPhone for years with no problems. Then I got talked into a Galaxy 6 using Android.
Total junk compared to an iPhone, this is my second one replaced under warranty.
And it's a month old and screwing up just like the first one did. I don't think its Android.
It's hardware issues, and the kids working at AT&T say off the record they have had a lot of problems
with the Galaxy phones.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
It is built for data mining and info gathering for the government. By default privacy is wide open.
USA Freedom act.
In the first part of the video. ear
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtr9FwfuzFo
-
How do you instal Linux and learn to use it? ear

·
24,482 Posts
BE, there are sites associated with Linux. Choose what version you want but they are all about the same.
Download your version, it will put up its own petition between it and windows. After useing Linux for awhile it will ask you if you want it as your primary OS. Say yes, then it will ask you if you want it to delete windows as an
OS off of your computer. That's up to you but if you do it will free up a lot of space on your hard drive.
Then Linux will walk you through how to use it with a tutorial, it's a piece of cake don't worry.
Then go to HP or who ever makes your printer and pick the software for Linux which ever one you choose.
Then go to Firefox and download your browser, Linux has many browsers so that to is up to you.
Scibaer is right, Mint is a very good one, Ubuntu is a bit more complicated because it's an older version.
Red Hat is a lot more complicated don't pick that one.
I hope you haven't already paid for virus protection or firewalls, because your no longer going to need it.
Whatever you do, make sure the site you download Linux from, is a linux site or supported by Linux and only them. There are copycats and you sure don't want them.

·
24,482 Posts
Linux was originally adopted by NORAD, because it is virtually fool proof. It's complicated on how it works.
But basicly nothing gets into your computer, not without your authorization.
Any incoming not authorized is sanctioned off and deleted each time you turn off the computer.
Not like windows where anything and everything can just come right in, then your virus software has to deal
with it, sometimes after its already done its damage. It stores your history and data like windows, but anything different from the original OS is deleted.
Or only what you have put in there, not some malware. This is why Linux will always keep asking you for your
password, before any thing is added or changed.

You know Scibaer, we should have a Geek forum. You be the moderator lol.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
if you can run a windows operating system you can run linux.
linux mint looks and feels very close to windows 7 but is smaller ( takes less memory and space ) and is faster
you can download it, from the linux website into a folder on a windows machine
from there you can transfer the file to a flash drive or cd or dvd and then run it from that
i suggest you run it from that media for while and get used to it
in any event, when you chosen media is installed your windows maching will start and run linux first.
when your ready you can install linux side by side with windows and when your computer starts up, you will be given a choice as to which operating system, linux or windows you want to run.
each system will be on the same hard drive in your computer, just on different partitions ( slices of area on the hard disc )

you can save the orginal linux dvd or flash drive install software, because it has grub files and partition files ( programs to fix, repair or reload ) for future use, should you need them
right now, linux mint , version 17.2 is the newest one out there and is really nice. you dont need any backup files, virus or malware software for linux stuff. there are hundreds of free programs...
in fact all linux programs and opertating systems are 100%.. things that cost $200 or more with windows
linux is not buggy or slow and there are several websites and forums that help out anyone who asks.. if you have something you cant figure out.
if linux has a down side, its language. linux calls things on the desktop and in the operating systems something different than windows and you'll have to learn the language somewhat.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
linux can every run windows programs that are installed on your windows partition, with programs like Wine..there are several of them.
what argent11 says about the security of linux is right on. linux will ask for your password before anything administrative is done, but is not going to pick up any virus's or give out any info or let you be tracked.
linux has its own modified version of firefox and chrome browsers, and duck duck go search engines that have the tracking, editing and protection features modified to work better with linux, and be more secure.

i guess thats about it for now. i suggest you look up linux on wikipedia , and youtube and do a bit of reading about it and watch some videos..get a feel for what its about.

in my next post i'll provide some links to , and about linux stuff..
its early and i need coffee

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
linux links are

http://www.linuxmint.com/ <--- linux mint ( cinnamon edition, the nicest version of linux in my opinion )

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/ <----segfault... news and talk about linux updates , descriptions of linux products

http://forums.linuxmint.com/ <--- the linux mint ( and all other versions ) forums.. help and talk and instruction forums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux <--- wikipedia page about linux operating systems, history and versions

i have not been using linux all that long myself, so thats all i know about it really, expect my own personal experiences.
i did alot of work on my linux os, which is mint 17.1 ( rebecca ) with a cinnamon desktop
i changed alot of things around, resized and changed fonts, colors and styles.
and swapped partitions, moved grub files and relisted boot sequences ..

nothing anyone else wound need do to run linux and / or windows.. but i use external hard disks and have 2 verions of linux , one internal one external and windows 7 pro internal and a drop and swap partition to use between all OS's

ok , time for coffee

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Argent and Scibare, Thank You Very Much, ear

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
ear,
if you decide to give linux a try. i'll try and help you best i can im sure argent will help as well.
i know it seems daunting at first, but before too long you'll be comfortable with it.

and your right, the new windows 10 is a nightmare.. ive been reading about it and its not anything i even want in my computer.
microsoft 'fixes' just open the user up to failures and breeches of security.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
if you can download a file, then you can get a linux operating system
if you can save a file to a flash drive or burn a cd, then you can have a physical copy of the linux operating system
if you can click a button on your computer screen then you can install linux on its own partition
if you can read, then you can use the linux forum
if you can work a windows based program or anti virus program then you can run any linux based program , linux dont need anti virus software
when you get tired of having malware attacks, operating system crashes, viruses on your computer and shelling out hard earned money for something that barely works , then maybe you will give a linux a shot.
if you have a android based cell phone, tablet , nook reader or e-reader tablet, then most likely you are using a linux operating system already.
many military / government, law enforcement and cable tv computers run linux operating systems because they are so much more stable and reliable

but, to each thier own , the choice is yours.

·
24,482 Posts
Your pretty good Scibaer, I've got a lot of experience on Linux and Apple but only from what I learned down through the years. And with windows I go go back to the first days of windows 95. It was all doss before that.
I know what I'm doing but you put it into words much better, I think I just assume the person I'm talking to knows and many times they don't. I got fed up with windows back in windows ME, Linux was really marketing itself back then and had those cute commercials. And they were right, Apple and Windows were trying to copy a
lot of the Linux OS. A big law suite stopped that, but Apple did swipe a lot of Linux's ideas.

Windows has always been flawed, but it was marketed very well to all the manufactures during the PC boom.
There are bugs out there that they say can get through Linux and Apple but I've never come across them.
The way these two OS's work I can't see how that's possible. I think it's operator error they let something in
on their own, probably going to nasty sites and downloaded something there. And a lot of sites won't let you in
if your Linux, something about how it handles cookies they don't like. But Scibaer is right they can't spy on you
unless you let them so you have to be careful about doing that, like they have a download you have to have to
view their site.

But if you guys get Linux and all of a sudden your screen goes gray and unresponsive don't freak out it will pass in a few seconds. It means Linux has found something and is eliminating it. I think that Mint has done something
different than that so it doesn't happen. But it still does with Ubuntu, I've just gotten used to it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts