Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's mother's computer came down with a bug the other day and not being a windows guru I hope someone here might have some suggestions. When the computer boots up a window pops up with title GuardBytes Plus and says that a threat has been detected and kicks off a supposed scan for viruses etc.. When I close that window another window comes up and says the computer is unprotected and in order to protect it she needs to subscribe and pay for the full version of the software. It has hijacked both firefox and internet explorer as well as the system security settings for antivirus and the windows firewall and defaults to this rogue program. Just wondered if anyone had run into this bug and if so how you managed to get rid of it? I managed to boot it into safe mode and am running an online scan hoping to fix the problem but sure could use some suggestions. I switched to Mac's several years back and the last windows machine I had ran XP.

Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The online scan found a trojan and a virus but did not fix the problem. I forgot that windows has a function built in to restore the system files to an earlier date, ran it and fortunately there was a restore point/date just prior to the problem with her computer which worked and no more bug.

·
Super Moderator
51,055 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tim,

I did a search on yahoo and did not find anything. I will definitely use google the next time I am looking for info. Hopefully my mother in law wont have a problem like this again but you never know with lots of grandkids getting on her machine.

I don't run into these problems with my Mac.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts