Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note that you can hunt deer with a muzzle loading handgun during the Wisconsin muzzle loading/black powder deer season, but that does not include revolvers as most are loaded from the cylinder.

Just another confusing excuse for a citation from our illustrious leaders in Madison.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I see nothing wrong with that as even a 44 cap and ball revolver does not have that big of a projectile or a powder charge. I know it does not take that much to kill a whitetail even a 22 will do it, but in this case I think better guns could be used. At least 50 cal or 54 cal or bigger muzzle loader pistol at closer ranges would get the job done. I am a pistol fan but who ever wrote the current regs for center fire use screwed up big time too. Does not make sense as you could not use a 45 ACP due to barrel lenth of most semi auto's and a 45 acp could do the job at close range yet a revolver with in a 32 could be used which is a wimp cartridge and probably would wound more deer than kill.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps the laws were drafted by the same person. It is interesting that even though you COULD use a 5.5" barreled 25acp, most of the folks using centerfire handguns are using cartridges which are up to the task. I can't say I'm surprised. The bigger fools are in Madison thinking up new laws.

SO, noting that hunters gravitate towards adequate weaponery, I think a Ruger O.A. puts out as much clout as a factory standard .45 Colt. Therefore they should be allowed for use in the blackpowder season here. Another thought - I believe the R.O.A. may be a legal weapon during the regular firearms season for deer, but I can't confirm it..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts