Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried several, the Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, peroxide was so frightning I was afraid to even pour it down the drain, much less put it on my guns! Looked like it would have to be thinned just to be brushed on! It may work miricles, but untill I SEE some one do it to their guns, I ain't touching it!!

Anybody got other concotions they's share??

Butler Ford

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Windex! In the spray bottle! Actually I use the cheap "no name brand" stuff from the discount stoes. Werks and it's cheap! 8)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Super hot water and liquid dish soap. Heating the metal will cause it to dry faster.

This is all I do.

Pete :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Do you blow the water out or just let the heat dry it off? and I'm betting you oil all the metal to keep it from rusting? Spray oil to get into all the tight places?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
ButlerFord45 said:
I've tried several, the Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, peroxide was so frightning I was afraid to even pour it down the drain, much less put it on my guns! Looked like it would have to be thinned just to be brushed on! It may work miricles, but untill I SEE some one do it to their guns, I ain't touching it!!

Butler Ford
Iffin you use peroxide with your cleaner you could ruin your firearms since peroxide is an oxidizer and will harm the metal.

But if you just use Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, water mixed equally in 3 parts you can use this with no problem. I have used this for about 10 years now on both my BPCR shooting irons and my muzzleloaders with NO PROBLEMS period. Sure beats what they sell in the stores at a much higher price.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wipe down the gun good. The heated metal will dry the tight places then add Balistol. NO RUST !!!!!!!!! Works Great.

This is what I do.

Pete :)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The Montanan said:
ButlerFord45 said:

Butler Ford
Iffin you use peroxide with your cleaner you could ruin your firearms since peroxide is an oxidizer and will harm the metal.

But if you just use Murphy's Oil Soap, alcohol, water mixed equally in 3 parts you can use this with no problem. I have used this for about 10 years now on both my BPCR shooting irons and my muzzleloaders with NO PROBLEMS period. Sure beats what they sell in the stores at a much higher price.
QUESTION..........
Is there a good reason for using Murphy's Oil soap? Instead couldn't you use a liquid dish detergent like Dawn or Ivory? That's what I use for cleaning my barrel in the laundry tub w/ hot water.

P.S. Is this stuff supposed to be a lubricant for bullet patches also?

savageT

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Savage, Mason said a Magic word as far as I'm concerned..."Ballistol". It mixes with water, so if ya get water down in the action, the Ballistol will mix with it. When the water evaporates the Ballistol is still there. I've found better cleaners, but never a better general purpose gun lube.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thanks....but I've been using that stuff for some time now. Windex cleaner just before I spray w/ Ballistol. Some say that's ALL you need to clean!

Just wanted to find out what the heck is so darned special about Murphy's Oil Soap in the Witches Brew(instead of common, grease cutting detergents). There are so many commercial black powder solvents on the market today that are also patch lubricants too.

savageT

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:grin: If ya promise not to tell my secret, the best cleaner for BP fouling is the dishwashing soap you just mentioned and hot water. :grin:

·
Registered
632 Posts
:D For what its worth guys,I never use peroxide either in any concotion fer cleaning guns. The one I use is out of one of the BPCR howto books by matthews. I thinks its 90 percent,alcohol,in a windex spray bottle,and then some MURPHYS OIL SOAP,AND a little water. I have not had any problems with this mixture yet,and it cleans real well. Just dont let peroxide get near yer bbls. King After cleaning I also willoil the bore with FP10 . :)

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, King, I gotta know, what is FP10?

I have a real fondness for Mr Matthews books.

·
Registered
632 Posts
:D Butlerford It is called Firepower FP-10 lubricant elite. It is made by MUSCLE PRODUCTS CORP.,188 freeport ed.,Butler,Pa 16001 It is the best stuff that I have found for firearms bar none. About 12 years ago the company got ahold of my becasue of my firearms experiance,and the fact that I was doing all the departments fireaarms in this area. They wanted a good test done on thier product. At the time i was doing allthe ara departments firearms,handguns,rifles and shotguns,and was looking for a good cleaning agent,and one that was good for lubrication also, I ended up with 5 free cases of this stuff cause they were so happy with me and the results that i had obtained. It is not used excludivly on the departments firearms. It is the best we have found. Gieve em a call,and they will be happy to sent ya some sample packets. I ran ouut mine and I had over 500 of em. Gave em away when i did an officers gun for him. Great people to work with. You will love it.im sure.let me know how ya come out,I have to order some more also...King

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
All I ever used in my shotgun, is dish detergent, and boiling water right out of the kettle. I get the bore so hot it's hard to hold. Dries almost instantly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
While i am not a "Soot Lord" i ahve been shooting Black Powder in muzzleloading for over 15 years. What i have found to be the best ,as many have said, is hot boiling water and a light dish soap, i use Dawn. The hotter the water the better. That and a good tight cleaning jag works very well with all my BP firearms.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I too use soap 'n' hot water.

Ya'd be amazed how many folk figger sommit's no good unless it's 1 - expensive, 2 - difficult to make, or 3 - has a brand name on it :shock:

Danged good thang these folks waz 'round back in the ol' days or they'd be plumb outta luck! :-D

·
Registered
59 Posts
:D Howdy,
I use good ole Ballistol and water to clean with and straight Ballistol to lube with . :) Once you get you guns " seasoned " it gets easier and easier . :wink:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok, here's my situation and what I need to do as I see it. I need to know where I am wrong and this is one area my wife can't help with. I just got a bunch of BP sub loads, some Ten-X, some Cor-Bon. I have a 73 that I've been shooting smokeless with. I'm sure I will order some ballistol soon but I'd like to shoot maybe this weekend so I'd like to use stuff I alreay have or can get quick and cheap. Here's what I think I need to do:

1) spray and swab with brake cleaner (have) inside and out

2) wash good with hot water and dish soap (have)

3) spray down good with Murphy/alcohol/water mix(have).....or WD-40 (also have)?

Shoot and repeat steps 2 & 3.

Now say I've got all this right for once (ha!), when I do get Ballistol can I just start using it for lube or does it all need to be stripped again? I'm trying to figure what works with what.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cane I'm not a fan of the Murphy soap, but there are enough that swear by it that there must be something to it. So with that as a given, the plan sounds like a winner to me. While I've decided that Ballistol is the best stuff made for a lube and preservative, there is nothing better than hot water and dish detergent for cleaning up BP fouling.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts