Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have vented on sections of GBO so I will do so again here about this subject. Several years ago the tree huggers bought enough votes in the Maine legislature to stop the spraying for Spruce Budworm. This not only caused a horrific infestation of the budworm and the demise of a lot of our spruce forest but in my opinion it helped increase dramatically the tic population. Now our moose population is in such decline as to also cause talks about shutting down the hunt altogether. Ticks latch on to the critters in summer and fall months and live off the moose all winter. They latch on by the literal thousands and they plus the Maine winters are the end of a large portion of our moose herd.
For the past few decades we have had an abundance of wild turkeys thanks to re-introduction efforts. They were once a natural bird here. Turkey hunting is now a very popular sport in Maine. The sport gets his bird, the guide gets his bucks and the state gets the license fee. Win, win all around.
Now comes the tree huggers again. They want a National park in Northern Maine. There is talk of re-introduction of wolves. An attempt was made back several decades ago to re-introduce caribou up here. It didn't take. The caribou all took off and went home. Another environmentalist flop. Wolves have been gone from Maine for several decades. They are the North American alpha predator and hunter and for the life of me, I can't see ANY justification for their re-introduction. If it comes to be, and you can bet the tree huggers are hard at work behind closed House and Senate doors, I am afraid of what will be created. The rest of our moose will last a few years, our turkeys will make one or maybe two winters, forget about our declining deer population. When the food source is gone from Maine, where will the wolf go. Do you think he respects state boundaries or 'wildlife management areas'?
If we want to sustain our hunting and fishing heritage in New England we have to start standing up to Califorinia, Colorado, Sierra Club, Appalacian Trail Club, N.Y. city, and the other wing-nuts that are dead set on denying us what we have been doing for generations. Nothing smiles wider than a politicians open wallet. This is not the forum for a political discussion but I will add that the only people that can stop this encroachment on our values is us. As Pogo said "We have met the enemy and he is us".
We have to really watch what state biologist are telling us about re-introduction. Follow the money.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
I agree. Balance of Nature is a romantic myth--at least the way the tree huggers use it. There's a reason our forefathers eliminated wolves.
..TM7

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
I don't mind if wolves make a comeback on their own but to reintroduce them is foolish. We have too many coy dogs as it is and they're almost the size of wolves anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
TM7 said:
I agree. Balance of Nature is a romantic myth--at least the way the tree huggers use it. There's a reason our forefathers eliminated wolves.
..TM7
I literally almost fell off of my chair... TM7 and I actually agree on something!!!!

If wolves could actually be kept within reason of a population goal, which would be pretty simple if not for the tree-hugging morons, I would be fine with a reintroduction. But since Wisconsin's goal of 350 is admittedly 4 times that and likely higher AND they are now endangered again,,,, I would fight reintroduction tooth and nail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts