Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in today to buy my first H and R, a 12 ga. pardner. The sporting goods guy hands me the gun to look at and I ask if he will take off the trigger lock. He says he cant. Then he does to let the hammer back down that someone had cocked and I ask if I can look at it since he has it opened. He says I cant and puts it back on. I said I am interested in buying it and have cash on hand and he said, sorry store policy. I said thanks for your time and walked out.

I understand store policy and what not, but do they really expect to sell anything if they wont let the customer check out the gun properly. I guess there is that one in a million chance some nut job will have a shell in his pocket and put it in and go on a shooting spree with a single shot long gun.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks for reading, just had to vent.

p.s. I mean COME ON, it was gonna be my FIRST of many handis!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
That's just a little more of the 'Political correctness' that we are inundated with nowdays. I hope you can find another at a small, local gun shop. They should treat you right. 44 Man
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,733 Posts
If you bought it, they'd have a supervisor carry it to the door. You can't carry it through the store. If you went outside, loaded it and came back in, would the greeter stop you from shooting someone? Is this stupid or what?

Pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every other place I have bought guns have been great. No one around here carries H and Rs. They have rossis, which I think are inferior. I could probably get someone to order one in, but Im moving to Wyoming in a few weeks so Ill prob wait til I get there and settled in. But I hate waiting to buy a gun when I have the money saved up and burning a hole in my pocket. I tend to be impatient and buy guns that I didnt set out to buy then wish I had gotten the one I really wanted.

Never pray for patience. He doesnt give it to you. He puts you in situations where have to learn to be patient.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,821 Posts
You are both on camera. If he violates store policy he gets fired. You're only spiteing yourself. Just go back and buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
petemi said:
If you bought it, they'd have a supervisor carry it to the door. You can't carry it through the store. If you went outside, loaded it and came back in, would the greeter stop you from shooting someone? Is this stupid or what?

Pete
I have bought guns in uniform, wearing a loaded gun, and had to be walked to the door. It is just policy. But remember buying from a small dealer may help keep them in business if there is one in your area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Also I don't think you can return guns to the store, so if you have a problem you have to send them back to the manufacturer anyway. :(

I support my local gunshop where I buy all of my guns, and I have one that I'm a name basis customer in, so they always treat me right. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Swampman said:
You are both on camera. If he violates store policy he gets fired. You're only spiteing yourself. Just go back and buy it.
+1 The employee really doesn't have a choice, and if they have a good price, you may very well kick yourself later..... Hope you find what you are looking for. thejanitor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,292 Posts
Grin and bear it?..........
Get used to it?.......
I guess if the price was right and it otherwise looked OK I would ask what their return policy is if it was.....a lemon.
Absolute worst case is you would have to send it back to H&R, but then it would be a hand fit and fixed piece. Fortunately it seems the basic shotguns dont seem to have many issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,536 Posts
evidrine said:
Dicks and Bass Pro? Really?
Yup! I had that experience in Dick's. I believe the practice started in the 70's, in the cities. That's what happened when I purchased a Marlin 336, from of all places a Woolworth's in NYC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
I would pay the extra to buy it from a local gunshop that is in the business.
I don't buy guns from Wal-Mart and I don't buy much of anything else there either!



LONGTOM
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,025 Posts
Walmart won't let you buy ammo of the same caliber with the gun either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
quasne.inc said:
Went in today to buy my first H and R, a 12 ga. pardner. The sporting goods guy hands me the gun to look at and I ask if he will take off the trigger lock. He says he cant. Then he does to let the hammer back down that someone had cocked and I ask if I can look at it since he has it opened. He says I cant and puts it back on. I said I am interested in buying it and have cash on hand and he said, sorry store policy. I said thanks for your time and walked out.

I understand store policy and what not, but do they really expect to sell anything if they wont let the customer check out the gun properly. I guess there is that one in a million chance some nut job will have a shell in his pocket and put it in and go on a shooting spree with a single shot long gun.

Anyone else had this problem? Thanks for reading, just had to vent.

p.s. I mean COME ON, it was gonna be my FIRST of many handis!
I don't see a problem here, the Wal-Mart employee did the right thing in my eyes.

If you want it, buy it and if somethings is wrong the manufacture will be the one to contact.

yooper77
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,821 Posts
The local shops here charge 30-60% more than Walmart for exactly the same guns and ammo. They ask way more for a worn out H&R shotgun than Walmart wants for a new one. I can't afford that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
So the bottom line is if you don't mind paying more for the gun and be able to put your hands on it and inspect it, buy it at the local gun shop, getting the shop warranty, and help on site if there is a problem and they fix it, or they send it in themselves, or possibly exchange it for you. All on their dime!
(My shop has a lifetime warranty on all guns you buy from them, new or used.)

This Ultra I admit is a little high, but believe or not there are some deals to be found.
http://www.durysguns.com/inventory/profile/harrington_and_richardson_sb2_ultra_rifle_.22-250_rem._used_gun_inv_126563/

Or you can pay a cheaper price on a gun, but have to abide by "their" rules of purchase, and take your chances, and maybe you have to send it to the manufacturer if you have a problem, then you buy it from Walmart.

So what's the problem?
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top