Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been warned by people about hunting hogs in the summer heat and how most of the meat will be wormy or have something called trigenosis??? If this is true how do you test from disease and can it be cooked out? what are the signs of bad meat.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
worms in meat? do all hogs have it and can

Trichinosis is caused by a parasite which lives in hog muscle. It is contracted by eating infected pork which has not been adequately cooked. The initial symptoms aren't too bad (nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, and abdominal discomfort), but untreated it can cause muscle impairment and even death. Less serious infections can have persistent symptoms which last for months. In the US during 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported.

Many believe that this disease is likely behind the ancient prohibitions in Judaesim and Islam against eating pork.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

8) Over 100 degrees in West Texas at 8:30pm last Saturday............just too hot to be hunting anything.

I like to get all game animals field dressed and cooled out as quickly as possible, especially pork. With temperature this high I'm afraid they would spoil before I could get them to cold storage. Can't wait until fall when the temperature gets back to the mid-eighties.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey cnh...

I have read that hog meat can be safe to eat if well cooked.
And that even colera can't survive cooking. Worms are easy.

J. Knife

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts

Lloyd Smale said:
just a little bonus protien!!
Now that is sick..... :eek: :shock: :-D

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

:D If you eat pork or fish, then at some point you have consumed worms. You enjoy ya dinner, now!

Well cooked pork or fish is no health hazard. The heat will kill the worms. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts

I probably love hunting hogs more than any other type of animal. I used to love eating pork as well. However, now with this post, even I have some concerns.

I understand that if pork is properly cooked then it should not be a problem. However, I have my wild hog meat mixed with deer meat in making sausages. As such, it is harder to have sausages fully cooked, and this is where my concern comes in.

Zachary[/color]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts