Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what Rifles people have owned that have turned out to be just a waste of money or one that they wish they had left back at the shop? Tell me whats your best also? I have only had one bad Rifle. This was a Savage model 340 in .222. What a piece of crap! Every 2 shots it would not eject the case and at night this proved to be just a pain in the ass. I have to mess around trying to retrieve the shell. while my mates were getting all the foxes! Asked the shop about it and they told me it was very common in this Model. I now have the Howa/Weatherby and its great! I love this Rifle and dont have to worry about getting it scratched. I'll just buy another one when its old and worn out! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've never had a bad rifle. I've owned two Ruger 77's (25-06 and 30-06) and a Remington 700 BDL (7mm Rem Mag). I'll probably get a 243 or 223 this summer. At this point I'm sort of torn between a Howa (synthetic/stainless), Tikka (wood/blue), CZ (550 American) or another Ruger 77 (sporter laminate/stainless). Or course that's if I don't spend all of my money on new fishing reels (I've fallen in love the Newell's), dive equipment or electronics for my boat, this summer. :roll:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would not cull any of mine. That is two Rem. 700s, a Howa and a Ruger # 1. The rest are custom. They all shoot under a half minute and some well under a quarter minute. I have seen more scopes that would not shoot than I have rifles. That is just my two cents worth...OO :wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
almost all were good

I frequently trade for and buy used or new rifles just to dabble. With one exception I have been able to make them shoot well. The exception was a sporterized Mil mauser that had a 30-06 barrel that literally could not hit an 8 1/2 X 11 piece of papar at 100 yds. Good ones have included 4 rem 700's 5 pumps (mod 14,760 and 7600), 3 mod 70, 2 sav 110 , and one Browing A bolt. The A bolt is the keeper. Never dabbled with a Ruger except my brothers Mini 14. Couldn't hit a milk jug at 50 yds with that thing but that is typical of those things. It is almost certainty that a new off the shelf good brand name rifle will shoot effectively - 1 1/2 to 2" or better. There are and will be dogs in any group and that is what you hear complaints about. The difference will be around whether the dealer/manufacturer responds well.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I own about 7 Remington M700 BDL SS, 4 Winchester M70 Classic Stainless, 2 Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalkers, and 2 Tikka Whitetail Hunters (1 Laminated Stainless, and 1 Laminated Stainless). :-D :-D :-D

Zachary

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a tough one. All my rifles are best for what I have them for, though my 700 bdl in 7mm express (280) is giving me some fits now.

I did trade off a rem 597 for a used rem 581 because the 597 was jamming some. Other than that. no complaints.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
The worst is easy. It was a Remington M700 BDL in .308 that no matter what I or anyone else did the thing wouldn't group under 3". Complaining to Remington was a lesson in futility. After seven months of writing, phoning and finally having a lawyer write them I was told that the rifle was within company standards for tolerances. After almost a year Remington gave me a refund. Lawdog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lawdog,

how old was that rifle. The reason I ask is my bdl is shooting all over the paper now with anything other than 100gr hollow points, which group at 3/4 inch. Anything heavier, forget it. I am starting to think it's a stock fit problem. I got the rifle in 1980.

urika20

·
Registered
300 Posts
Worst Rifle was Ruger M-77 in .338 Win Mag. Shot like a champ, but would not feed reliably. Bolt in pushing a cartridge into the chamber would catch on the shoulder of the next chambered round and would push it forward and jam the action. Also, the action was so roughly finished that after cycling a couple of rounds through it there were brass shavings all over the action. God Awful.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Remington 700 BDL ss 7-08, 2 Howa's 1500 in 308 and 270, one stainless and the other blue, AR-15 match with flat top and A2 uppers, Winchester 73 (2) 38-40's, Sharps 45-70, Springfield Trapdoor Carbine 45-70 that I got from 20th Century Fox Studios years ago. I love all of them.

Worst rifle I had and sent it down the road after 4 shots was a Ruger 77 in 7 Rem. Mag. It split my head open twice and my son's once. Haven't own a Mag. since. Thats were eye relieve comes in on scopes.

DBuck

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I've owned or own the following centerfire rifles: Remington 760 30/06, Browning Stainless Stalker 25/06, Savage 110FP 223, Ruger M77 MKII 300 Win Mag, and a Savage 110CL 270.
I've been satisfied with all of these.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it seems that most people here are having trouble with American made Firearms! I never hear problems with the European made Arms like CZ or Anshutz or Finnish made Firearms like Sako/Tikka. I think most of the trouble seems to be with quality control in your country. We respect brand names like Winchester,Remington and Savage over here but i guess you get a Lemon with every bunch. I own a Howa/Weatherby which is a Budget Japan made rifle but it comes with a guarentee of accuracy under 1 and half inches at 90 yards. On shooting this Rifle i found it to be far more accurate than they claimed on the target supplied! Dont you think that if a Budget gun like my Howa can be guarenteed to be accurate WHY CAN"T THEY ALL BE?
cheers..
Mick :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it is a tough question...
If we "compare" something, it must be one or some conditions/reasons. It is not fair to compare an (very) old action/rifle with the "newest version", right?. Say how could we compare an old SMLE with a Steyr SSG...? It is like comparing an orange and apple to me.
We're sure many "things" involved to "jugde" which one better or worst. If you're looking for the lock time, of course the newer action/rifle is the winner. If you're looking for the "feed system", some are okay with push feed and some will choose claw extractor, if you're looking for the stiffness of action, of course the old one will not defeate Nesika, Hall, Sinclair, etc.........but if you're looking for "art", "nice looking", "history",etc. i think the older one is the winner...Also no need to say for "custom rifle"......
So, i don't even know the answer...... :cry: . But for "general reasons" you can't say anything bad about Sako.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
seb said:
I think it is a tough question...
If we "compare" something, it must be one or some conditions/reasons. It is not fair to compare an (very) old action/rifle with the "newest version", right?.
Well, actually you may be right. It may not be fair to compare a old action to a new one. But not because the new ones are necessarily better.[/color]

I have shot many rifles from many different makes. It appears, at least to me, that the older guns, like the early Remington 700s and Winchester 70s, were better then than today. The quality control back then was much better, similar to the quality control of the European guns of today.

My father has an old Remington BDL in 30-06. Let me tell you, I have never cycled a smoother action in my life - not even the Sako or Tikka is as smooth as my father's old gun. And it shoots like a champ. 3 bullets actually TOUCH each other AT 200 YARDS!!! :eek: Admittedly, this was a second hand rifle that my father purchased and, as such, I am not certain if it was customized. However, from what my father remembers, it was not. Of the many rifles I own today, and although I absolutely love my Tikkas, no gun holds a candle to that old 700. :wink:

Zachary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Zachary said:
But not because the new ones are necessarily better.[/color]
Zachary
Yup Zachary, 100% agree!
I know many peoples more prefer their pre 64 Winchester than the newer version, etc.
JMHO. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
urika20,

I bought that rifle in mid June of 1983 New, and I didn't get a refund until the first of May 1984. Stock fit had nothing to do with it's shooting problems and Remington didn't care either. Now I don't care about Remington. Lawdog

·
Registered
563 Posts
I tell you guys, if any of you own your own business, pay attention. An angry or dissatisfied customer will rant and complain to 25 or more people, while a satisfied customer will tell their closest friends...

Having said that, the worst rifle I've ever owned was a Remington custom shop 700 chambered in 8mm Rem Mag. I sent it back to Remington 3 times for not feeding, breaking the stock (yes the screws were tight), shooting 6" groups, being so rough and poorly finished that it looked worse than if I had put it together, etc... Basically I gave Remington a bunch of money for a rifle I couldn't use for nearly 3 years. It never did get fixed to my satisfaction and this rifle was from their custom shop and I spent nearly the cost of the rifle in shipping and phone calls!!! I'll never buy another Remington anything for as long as I can draw a breath into my lungs. I hate them. I let everyone know that I talked to everyone at Remington that they would let me talk too, even the Vice President of the Custom Shop, basically it was send it back to us on your own coin, we'll look at it, keep it for 6 months, then ship it back to you COD. I'll never buy another one.

I traded that rifle for a Ruger No.1S and have never been happier. The stock doesn't break, it shoots sub MOA, beautiful rifle, never malfunctioned. If I ever buy another new rifle again, or recommend to anyone buying a new rifle, I will buy or recommend Ruger. They have an excellent product at competitive prices and outstanding customer service. Remington will never be in my house again. Because of the way that one deal was handled, they have missed out on at least 10 additional gun sales to me since. Doesn't make sense does it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Worst? A Remington (seems to be a pattern here :? Mtn rifle in 30/06. Casings would seize in the chamber after firing to the point where I couldnt open the bolt. Had to take to my gunsmith with the round in it. Would shoot OK first shot, then string straight down 6 inches @ 100 yrds for the following shots and bucked like a bugger. Traded it for a Tikka SS 7mmRM which shoots like a dream.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.