Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, when I was in the market for a new rifle, I always checked out the Package Guns. The Rifles that come with a scope, sling, sometimes a hard case, targets and earplugs (among other things).

And so far, I have never bought a Package. I can't exactly say why either. Sometimes I wasn't impressed with the scope that was offered, and sometimes I didn't like the hard plastic case... but there was always something that turned me off about the 'package'. Hence I have never purchased a package.

I do know that they are quite affordable for someone just starting out, and give you everything you need to get started.

For some reason, I have always been happy buying everything seperately and putting it together myself.

I have never been much of a 'take it or leave it' person, I guess. Control Freaks are that way. There isn't much of my personality and taste when I pay for a package, and I get to do nothing except sight it in.

I often wondered why I couldn't have a choice of a hard or soft case, or scope and sling options at the gun shop.

Am I looking at this wrong?

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Nope! Not from my perspective. The one thing that usually turns me off with a package gun is the scope. So many come with inexpensive, poor quality scopes that I would rather purchase another rifle and scope it myself rather than deal with what is on the package. A young friend turned up with a package (22 lr) at the hunting camp last year and the scope was one of those Lee Harvey Oswald scopes - so bad you could hardly see through it, mounted wrong for the average eye relief and contained a set of cross-hairs that rotated when you shot the gun. And here the kid was trying to work with this package to get it to work.

I liked the rifle, so I gave him a good scope, mounted it while he was right there and we got it sighted in using the old scope for a target. He is one very happy camper now and brings the rifle with him for small game whenever he comes out.

You mentioned gun cases - I like soft gun cases and some of those hard plastic cases are just too bulky and large. Just another two cents worth. Mikey.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
ditto what Mikey said ...

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Nope I prefer to select each and every component of my "package" to be what I want not what someone else selected for me.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I have not an probably will not ever buy a package gun.

However, my wife's cousin bought a rem 710 270 package the dealer had sighted in at 200yd.
he buys the ammo they used.
Every year he checks that it is still sighted in and kills a deer with it.
It's just a tool to him and it works fine.

May last him forever at the rate he shoots it. A box every couple years.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree with what everybody said but Partsman makes a good point. If a guy wants to go deer hunting once a year, it might work for him.

To jack this thread for a minute: If you don't have a hard sided case for your rifle, some day, when you least expect it, you are gonna be very, very sorry.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've never bough one but it's not the scope that stops me. Usually they are rifles with lousy relatively non-adjustable triggers and I hate those. If the Savage 110 came with a accutrigger in a package deal I'd buy it and put the scope on a 22. Without the trigger, the "Sharp Shooter" trigger is around $90. Add that to the rifle and I don't want to pay it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The first rifle I ever bought or shot was a Savage 110 package in .270 Win. It got me set up with a rifle for a reasonable price after I moved to Missouri where rifles were legal for deer. It also set me on the road to being a "rifle freak". I've bought another 5 since then, but none of them package guns.

I got a new scope for that 110 (Nikon Monarch 3-9X40); and, the new scope bases that I thought would be backordered forever just came the other day. That package rifle has been accurate enough for what I need of it, but it always lagged behind my other rifles in the precision department. Always suspected the scope might be to blame. I put that cheap scope on a new Ruger .25-06 while I waited for the scope I ordered to come in. The Ruger shoots better with the Burris scope I bought for it and later installed.

The package gun suited me fine at the time I bought it. I'm sure it suits others well too.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few things I know for sure about Package Guns.

The one Gun Shop that I go to has no problems selling them right before the Season starts.

A friend of mine bought a package and likes it. Then again, he doesn't own any other rifles either. He has one rifle and the Package Gun is it. In the last 10 years, he hasn't gone thru one box of shells.

I talk to people at the range before the season starts and some of them have Package Guns.

I was walking thru a Flea Market last year and one of the vendors had a Pump-up BB gun that had a 3x9x40 Tasco on it that came from a Package Gun. I couldn't believe my eyes... I bought the BB Gun for $15 and put the scope on my .22 Squirrel Rifle... (and it is deadly out to about 50 yds). I then mounted and old .22 4x scope on the BB gun.

So I guess Package Guns do come in handy sometimes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would in the right situation such as what happened to a contractor i know off.
He and a couple of other guys were heading out for opening weekend of deer hunting.
Well every highway in Texas is jammed on that Friday night.
And the local thieves know only to well what's in them trucks.
They stopped outside of San Antonio Texas at dark to eat.
When they returned the truck's camper had been broken into and his was the rifle case nearest the tailgate and only his rifle had been stolen.
A dark moment for sure.
Worse is the fact that he had owned that Winchester model 70 since he graduated high school in the mid 70's and had taken many deer with it.
So after the police report regimen he drove to a WalMart and bought a Howa package rifle on the credit card.
Sighted it in after a few shots at mid morning and took himself a small spike that evening.
So yea,under the right circumstances i guess i would.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Don said:
I've never bough one but it's not the scope that stops me. Usually they are rifles with lousy relatively non-adjustable triggers and I hate those. If the Savage 110 came with a accutrigger in a package deal I'd buy it and put the scope on a 22. Without the trigger, the "Sharp Shooter" trigger is around $90. Add that to the rifle and I don't want to pay it.
I found a 110 GXP3 (LH) at a price better than the gun alone. (I think they ordered a left hand by accident or got it by accident and were trying to get rid of it at cost) Had the accutrigger. Put the scope on my henry 22 mag. Put the sling on the 22 mag. Put the rings on my back up muzzleloader. Changed the mounts.

Worked out OK for me.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
My cousin has a Savage package 30-06. He's not really into shooting like I am and it the rifle shoots darn well everytime. It was relatively inexpensive and it got the job done for him and I knew it would. I've shot it and it really is an excellent rifle with no real "need" to change anything.

I wish I could be that simple about my rifles. I select everything and make sure it's exactly the way I want it to be. Stock, scope, mounts, everything. To other people a gun is gun, but to me it's more fun than that.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It depends. Under the right circumstances, yes. Under most, no.

Like others here I like to choose my scope. Package scopes tend to range from exceptionally poor to mediocre. Since I have no use for such scopes I am not too excited about package deals.

That said, I have seen package deals for less money than rifles alone. Its the rifle I want and taking a scope off is no big deal.

Most of my rifles have been purchased used and some have come with scopes. I have a 3x9 Tasco in the safe that was a take-off from a Marlin .30-30. Paid $225 for the combo and the rifle is a 1989 336CS in excellent condition. The Marlin now sports a used Leupold Vari-X II 2-7. Another that comes to mind, my Ruger .257 Roberts came with a Leupold M8 4x in the rings. $400 for the combo. That scope is now on my Marlin 375 (.375 Win) and the Ruger has a used Vari-X III 4.5-14xAO.

·
3,204 Posts
Like you boys have said, the problem with package deals is typically low cost items put together in a relatively low price package. This sells to a certain type person in specific situations. Too bad they don't do package deals where you pick all the items. Rifle, rings, scope, case etc... and if you buy it all there at one time (maybe they mount the scope if a person needs them too) and you get it at a better rate. Then if a guy wants a low cost set up he can have it. If he likes Remington 700's and leupolds or Zeiss for scopes he can have it. Seems like that would work. . . but maybe not because I have never seen it like that.

Long

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think if I would ever want to get back to Basics, I would buy a package gun. The more I think about them, the more they make sense. Surely they can be just as productive in the right hands as a higher priced set up, and for the price they would be very cost effective.

I guess it all comes down to what your idea of perfection is, and how letting someone else pick everything out for you conforms to that.

I remember the first high powered rifle I bought a long time ago. It was a Marlin .35 Rem, and I put a straight 4x K-Mart scope on it. It must have cost me $100 at the time to put that hunter together. That set up lasted me almost 20 years before I had to replace the scope because of fogging, and I still have and use that rifle. I am superstitious on the first day if I don't have my Marlin with me. While that Marlin wasn't exactly a package gun, it was what I could afford at the time, so I can relate the logic behind buying the packages, because I know if I had known Packages were available back then, which I don't believe they were, I definitely would have bought one.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
For guys who aren't going to be shooting alot I think a package gun is a great way to go. Some guys don't want all the bells and whistles, they just want something that'll shoot 3 or 4 times a year.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Dicks Sporting Goods had a package deal with a Remington model 700 with a Leupold vx-2 package and a hard case. I noticed that I could get the parts separately and save $100 rather than buying the package. I think it would not be economical for the beginning hunter. I don't even think the 710 would. Maybe if NEF & HR would it might if they put a decent scope and mounts. But no I would not buy one after seeing what they put on them.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I bought a Remington Model 710 package gun in 270 and it is one awesome shooter, the scope is bright and clear, the rifle with my load of a Barnes 140 gr TSX bullet will shoot into 1.5 inches at 200 yds, couldnt believe the accuracy this rifle has, try one of these package guns, you wont regret it...JimP. ;D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts