Graybeard Outdoors banner

Would you Shoot?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  FWiedner 
#1 ·
I posted this on another website but I thought it would be interesting to see what replies I get here as opposed to the other site.

One October day, this fall, I was hunting from a slightly of elevated deer blind located in a fairly new pine plantation of East Texas. It was getting pretty late in the day when suddenly a sow came out of the pines and went straight to an empty tube feeder. After checking that feeder out she headed for a second tube feeder. Behind her, in single file, came 6 very small pigs. She led those little pigs to the second tube feeder. I was amazed when she stood aside and let those little pigs eat while she watched.

My question is. Under the conditions I described would you shoot the sow, pigs, or any and all you could?

See less See more
#2 ·
No problem

The sow would get shot without a second thought. Those pigs are able to survive alone alot earlier than most folks think. It may be a wrong feeling to have, but to me, it is a pig, not a deer, and I see them slightly differently. Most landowners would rather you shoot everyone of them anyway. So did you shoot?
markc :)

#4 ·
Actually, I would probably shoot one of the piglets. Those little ones are delicious. I shot a little one once, and it made fantastic Bar-B-Que for about 3 people.

If it was my ranch and it was completely overrun by hogs, then I would shoot the sow. If I wanted to build a larger hog herd, then I would let the sow go and make more piglets.

Zachary

#5 ·
shoot her

man that looks like the sow i almost shot sept for the little ones were smaller they didnt have any hair around there eyes they were so small looked like baby possums! well anyways i would shoot the sow i cant stand seeing a baby die i might catch the babys after i killed there momma and feed em corn for awhile well ttyl

craig

#6 ·
Under normal conditions I would have let them walk. However, the hogs are getting so bad here in East Texas the thing to do is shoot on sight any and all you can. I shot the sow, one of the pigs, and tried for a second pig but by then they had scattered like quail. It was getting dark fast so I didn't have time to wait for the pigs to come back.

#7 ·
shoot

I would have shot all possible, as long as I could get a good humane kill. the hogs are very hardy and they eat a lot of young deer, as in young fawns, also quail eggs. In my neck of the woods, they have even been know to catch a wild turkey, they will eat turkey eggs as well. They directly compete with the deer for the acorns also. :D
bullet maker

#10 ·
Zachary said:
Actually, I would probably shoot one of the piglets. Those little ones are delicious. I shot a little one once, and it made fantastic Bar-B-Que for about 3 people.

If it was my ranch and it was completely overrun by hogs, then I would shoot the sow. If I wanted to build a larger hog herd, then I would let the sow go and make more piglets.

Zachary
I kind of agree with 'Zachary'[/color] on this BUT it all depends on the size of the piglets. I disagree with the idea that all piglets will survive if you shoot the sows. If the sow is still nursing she gets a pass. I do that for any critter - Varmint or Game. Lawdog
:D

#11 ·
:roll: Shoot the little pigs? You need to keep a good crop of pigs in East Texas, you are helping the gangsters out of the Shreveport/Bossier City area by allowing the pigs to live.

In addition to quail and turkey eggs, they eat dead people too. If you kill all the pigs, the crooks will start throwing the bodies in the Red River again, that makes the catfish taste bad.............Hummm, how does it make the little piggy taste? :p :wink: :-D :grin:

As a property owner, I say shoot em. They sure cause a lot of extra work repairing fence, replanting crops,in addition to all the other things they do.

#13 ·
Sounds like a job for the ol' trench-broom...

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.