Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is getting into hunting and wanted to know what the recoil of different rounds felt like before deciding on what to buy. So I loaded up the Handi and a few barrels, grabbed some ammo and off to the range we went.

Long story short, I hand him the .270 and he sticks a .243 in it by mistake. Now I have a live round jammed tight and it won't budge. Suggestions???

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
If it were me, I would take the barrel off, not stand at either end and knock it out with a long 1/4 wood rod from the muzzle. It will likely push the bullet into the case but I think you would be successful. Larry

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
Try it again after adding some penetrating lubricant from behind and down the bore, it should move easier and will dampen the powder.

Tim

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Try it again after adding some penetrating lubricant from behind and down the bore, it should move easier and will dampen the powder.

Tim
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

i've had to do this before , long ago before i got smart about loaning firearms

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Liquid wrench soaking on top of the round. Will leave it for a day or so and give it a try.

The worst part was I was standing right there. I handed him the rifle, turned around and grabbed the ammo and when I turned back around, he had a box of .243 open and jammed one in the breech.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
trotterlg said:
You just haven't hit the brass rod hard enough. Larry
I agree.. its a SS how hard could he have forced it in there. I could see in a bolt where someone could put some real force on it...
Not to mention why is it jambed so badly.. the 243 is smaller then the 270 in everyway.

CW

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Use the brass rod, NOT the wood dowel. If the wood should split, and it very likely will, it will wedge in with the bullet and you will have a far greater problem than you have now. GW

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
cwlongshot said:
the 243 is smaller then the 270 in everyway.

CW
Not the shoulder, the same reason a 243/308 can't be rechambered to a 30-06 based round, they won't clean up the shoulder, only an improved version will clean it up. If was smaller, it couldn't be jammed in there. :-\

Tim

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
quickdtoo said:
cwlongshot said:
the 243 is smaller then the 270 in everyway.

CW
Not the shoulder, the same reason a 243/308 can't be rechambered to a 30-06 based round, they won't clean up the shoulder, only an improved version will clean it up. If was smaller, it couldn't be jammed in there. :-\

Tim
They both have a .473 base. The 243 has less taper. But its shoulder is WAY before the shoulder of the 270...

I just miked them both the 243 is .260 at its shoulder while the 270 is .254. So I see how its in there but I still dont see how its jammed so tight... did he bang the thing on the ground? ???

Hit it like it owes you money... It WILL come out. :eek: ;)

CW

·
Registered
425 Posts
Many years ago, I tried using an aluminum rod to drive a 6.5x55 round that I had stuck in an old Italian military carbine. It rammed the bullet down into the case and the compression set the round off taking the rod out the end and almost my fingers also. I was lucky and only got some shrapnel in a couple of fingers!! I will NEVER try that again! :-[

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
frgerald said:
. . . I tried using an aluminum rod to drive a . . . . It rammed the bullet down into the case and the compression set the round off . . . .
how would that happen ? ? :-\

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have stuck a bullet in the lands from not seating it deep enough , but never stuck a live round in one . I don't know how you could de prime the cartridge without detonating it . Be careful by all means .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The brass rod must have been quite a bit smaller than the 270 bore to bend. Once it bent it was taking all of the shock from the hammer. Maybe you can try a steel rod or key stock. If you can't find one long enough use as many as it takes and stack them in the barrel. Maybe that way you can get a good solid lick on it.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
something dont sound quite right.
guy opens the handi thats chambered for a 243 and sticks in a 270.
it wont close because the 270 is longer that a 243.
but by just using hand pressure, manages to force the 270 into the 243 sized chamber so forecefully that he cant drive it out with a dowel ? what ?
even if he tried to close the action on the 270 case, maybe he kinked it some but that cartridge should just pop right back out of the chamber.. should it not ? is it even possible to stick a 270 bullet in the 243 lands so hard with hand pressure
that it wont pop out ?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.