Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have also heard that from many people, but I have a 270WSM from Virgin Valley Custom guns and it works great. The WSM is right on the edge of safe in the Encores. I inquired about a 25WSM and was told that it was just too much. I got a 26" barrel and I get better than factory velocities without really hot loads. Careful choice of powder and loads and everything seems fine. (I hope...) Give [email protected] Valley a call, he's is very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called VVCG a couple of weeks ago and talked to Steve about a .270 WSM barrel. He told me they are no longer making any WSMs due to pressure issues with the short fat cases. I told him I called because I saw that caliber offering on their website and he said they haven't gotten around to changing it yet. Haven't been back to see if it's still there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmmm, funny how that works... Last summer it was fine, no problem - now it's too much pressure. Kinda makes you wonder every time you pull the trigger. I realize these are custom jobs we are talking about, but you would think some of these people would get their stuff straight before you spend tons of money with them. I have not seen any pressure problems with my 270, but I'm shooting only moderate loads. Accuracy is more important than an extra 100fps as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
159 Posts
On the edge

Billy Just for the very reason you stated I did not get a WSM 270 last summer.
ON the edge is not the thing to do in todays times.
Lawsuites and anti-gun activists need no reason for more of thier crap.
It has always puzzled me why a company would sell a barrel or firearm that is on the EDGE. How can you trust the person doing the reloading?
My guess is it has been pulled from the line-up due to a PROBLEM.
Who lost a hand? or what barrel blew-up?
To me a 1 in a million chance of a problem like that is BAD ODDS.
So are they going to offer you a money back deal or another barrel that is SAFE? if you call them?
Makes you wonder if SSK's prices are not so bad since JD has said NO from the begining about the WSM. You just might be able to trust him.
Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just happened to see last night that E A Brown says they will not do the WSMs in an Encore. They say too little taper, too much back thrust, too much frame stretching. Sean

·
Registered
45 Posts
Poses an interesting situation, doesn't it? I may give them a call, but I really don't expect anything. That really stinks because the thing shoots well, but how can one be confident that it won't cause problems? (not to mention all the time and money invested in reloading the thing!) Oh well, such is life...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.