Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out guys ,

My oldest nephew has just shown an interest in going with us guys to hunt hogs... So I'm in the market for the youth Handi /H&R

I think he can handle the 243 but I would be willing to let him use the 223 .. Since the twist rate in the rifle should be capable of handling the heavier grain weight 223 rounds .. Now before the "wild pigs and 223 " topic takes off ... The animal he will be shooting should we get lucky will be under a 100 lbs.

So if anyone has one of these they are willing to part with , do let me know what you would like ($) for it..

Thanks in advance ,

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
FYI, Twist rate of the 223 Superlight is 1:12", at least until H&R runs out of the existing stock of barrels, new barrels will be 1:9". ;)

Tim

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blah ,

Thanks Tim ... I was under the impression it was already 1in9 at this time ... which was the reason i had cast off the rossi 223 break actions from the line up of choices (less it was in 243)

Though the 1in12 should be ok with say like the federal nosler 60 psp rounds wouldnt it ??
I know I know hard to answer question... Since each rifle is its own entity

So better asked , is there anyone with any experience with these 1in12 twists and the federal 60 or winnie 64 grain rounds ??

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
The Superlight .223 as of a month or so ago, was still running on old stock at H&R, the next run of barrels from Marlin will be 1:9", but any used gun or production before about a month ago will be 1:12". Just as the 450 Marlin is still an ejector barrel until a new run of barrels are made. ;)

The Win 64gr PP and the Sierra Varminter 63gr #1370 have a good track record in the 1:12" bores, and are good for deer or at least as good as a 223 can be, the 60gr Nosler partition is another that would be good to try.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=609136

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=609136&t=11082005

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim ,

Thanks once again , As of this moment I'm not reloading the 223 (still deciding which rig I want to go with for rolling my own)
So my options are factory , Glad I asked the guy at the shop to hold those 3 boxes of Federals for me till friday
I have supreme confidence in Nosler bullets ... now granted my Mini didn't like the 64 g Winchester supremes.
And as far as I can tell they don't offer them in the supreme line up (cant find any at all anywhere sept at a lil shop local that has had the two boxes for god knows how long lol) anymore .. But I would chance the guess that it is the same bullet (non moly coated ) that they offer in the super X ..And even then i dont know who made that bullet , but i have trusted winnie for years with good results ,so not about to stop now heh

Well anywho , I will still have interest in a rifle in either caliber should someone have one they are willing to part with

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Winchester offers 2 other loads that might work beside the 64gr, although it would be the first I'd buy.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/comparerifle.aspx?multiadd=VVNBMjIzUkYtMS0xK0FFQS1YMjIzUi0xLTErQUVBLVgyMjNSMi0xLTE=&action=3&ctype=1&atype=1

Federal offers the 60gr partition in their ammo, and it's possible they'll offer the 63gr Fusion next year, Mac got some of the American Eagle ammo with that bullet in it, but it was a limited run, that's what he intended on using this year for his son's rilfe in their youth hunt, which he didn't get to do.

http://www.federalpremium.com/balli...&firearm=1&bc=0.227&muzzvel=3160&bulletwgt=60

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
He wants the youth model with the 11-3/4" LOP , you didn't mention if yours was the youth, just the Superlight, they make both. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
It would always be easy to switch out to a youth stock on that SL .243 for sale. I have a like new youth SL stock set that I got in a trade to help out a member here and I would be willing to swap it for an adult stock set in good condition if it helps you guys out any in making the deal on the SL .243....<><....:)

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MSP ,
ido appreciate the offer , only trouble is i only have one set of stocks and that would be the set on my 357 mag handi i got for my other half to use for the up coming hog hunt , heck i havent even got a chance to use my new 223 bull barrel i got a few weeks ago ... due to not wanting to mess up the accuracy my missus is getting from it atm... Now granted i will probably buy her one of the custom stocks i have found with the thumb hole set up and a nicer looking (matching) forearm ... but by that time i will have already needed the lil rifle for my nephew ..... And as fortunes would have it , I located what i was looking for at a local shop that just got two H&R youth super lights in 243 ... Funny enough i found this little joy while searching for some hornady lever revolutions in 45-70 (talked lil brother into a H&R) and he had me on a search for the hornady ammo for it hehe , another handi man in the makings heh

Anywho i thank you all for your help , thou i believe i will go with the local buy since the cost of the super light listed and trading for or purchasing stocks for it , ETAs' and postage costs would place me at or above what i can get it for local ...

Thanks again guys ,

Tim you can close this one down if you like...thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts