Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some .458 bullets for a 45-70 I recently picked up. Not too concerned with weight because they are so hard to find now but would prefer jacketed bullets.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
Dont discount the cast bullet. ESPECIALLY in a caliber that was BUILT UPON THEM!!

They is nothing needed to me done with a 45/70 that cannot be properly accomplished with a cast bullet. I realize its no easier to find unless you know a bullet caster.

CW

Reactions: mjac

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re right, I was just thinking leading harder to clean. I’ve seen some that are coated with something that they claim makes barrel easier to clean.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have a variety butt only willing to trade for .452 cal 300 grain xtp’s or 200 grain .375 flat point sierra’s...

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
That is powder coating. Yes it completely encapsulates the cast allowing for softer alloys & higher velocities WITHOUT fear of leading. Here are some of my favorites that I cast & coat. RtoL 300g to 450+g.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What weight is the purple bullet in the middle. I shoot a 405 grn cast in my sharps.

Mike

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
What weight is the purple bullet in the middle. I shoot a 405 grn cast in my sharps.

Mike
420 ish as always and especially apparent in larger bullets alloy dependent.

cw

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
A box of 50 Hornady #4500 350gr HP. Will trade for a box of 100 .44 180-200-225 XTP or sell for $40.00 TYD
would much rather trade.

Ken

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have a variety butt only willing to trade for .452 cal 300 grain xtp’s or 200 grain .375 flat point sierra’s...
In the old forum lack of reply would be grounds for locking the thread. So since rules no longer apply here. Anyone else interested in a trade?

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
:ROFLMAO:🤪Kind os a strange thread... tgonza seems to have .... gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to you all. I didn't realize there were comments on this thread. I don't check too often. On other listings I'm a part of, I get emails regarding my posts. For some reason, I don't get them on this website. Is there a way of turning on alerts if someone can help me?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Try this:
upper righthand corner, click on your avatar
click on account settings
click on preferences
click on what you want under "email options"

·
Registered
540 Posts
As to buying some .458 bullets, you might want to try looking at Hawk's site and "bullet selection, Hawk Bullets"

Depending on what you're hunting with your 45-70, they have several weights and styles. They also give you the opportunity to choose a jacket thickness, which will, in turn, cause quicker or slower expansion. Larger numbers = thicker jackets. lower numbers = thinner jackets.

Good Luck! (y)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here, I'll send you a friendly test response to see if it works now. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I didn’t get it. I did receive a response email from someone else having bullets for sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts