Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are of pics of a couple of sage grouse shot on Saturday in west-central Wyoming. The first one was shot with a 20 gauge 22" Survivor shotgun with a replacement GSI walnut stock and forend. In the second pic, the bird was taken with a 20 gauge 26" Partner pieced together here on GBO. Both barrels have modified chokes.

Saw quite a few birds. If the FWS puts them on the endangered species list on September 30, it will be a big mistake. Game and Fish says more birds were on the leks this spring than any time since the 1970's. Preservation groups running wild, but they seem to have the ear of the government and its easily persuaded judges who have no idea of the science that helps manage the species. I hope these two aren't the last I'll ever shoot. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
never had one, but i'll bet they're good eatin' ;)

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Ranger99 said:
i'll bet they're good eatin' ;)
I wonder about this every time the subject comes up. :-\ Do you season Sage Grouse with... sage? ???

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
AtlLaw said:
. . . . Do you season Sage Grouse with... sage? ???
only if you want to :D i'd reckon a dab of salt and peppa would do just fine :D :D

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Having hunted Ruffed Grouse all my life it's hard to imagine grouse hunting in the wide open spaces in your pictures!

Obviously they must have held fairly tight before flushing to be in range of your 20 gauges. Is that normally the case with them or are they often wild flushers?

I'm sure the FWS has no clue about their numbers. They, and the liberal judges, have a political agenda that guides their decisions.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good News!! The FWS decided not to list sage grouse as endangered, so it looks like, for the foreseeable future, we'll be able to pursue them with a shotgun. The decision came out today, but that doesn't mean some of the more liberal environmental groups won't shop around for a sympathetic judge to reverse the decision.

And yes, salt and pepper work well when frying up a batch of sage chickens. I like those spices mixed with flour and Parmesan cheese and a little garlic powder and onion powder. Slow cooked in a crock pot with the usual vegetables and spices is also a preferred method of preparation.

These birds held pretty close, but later in the season, after they've been hunted a bit, they could flush wild from two hundred yards or more. Just depends on hunting pressure. I didn't see another soul hunting sage grouse...a few antelope hunters burning a bunch of gas driving around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.