Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I zero'd my handi 243 with 100 grain hornady interlocks, and was easily within the 3 inch circle shooting free handed at 100 yards...I was pleasantly surprised. Today, had some free time, and seen the new winchester deer hunter xp shells on sale in 95 grain so I bought a few boxes. I set up the target at 100 yards, and made my first shot............Was about 7 inches high, but in line right to left with the bulls eye. Thought maybe that was me, so I fired again......still 7 inches high. I adjusted the scope, made a few extra shots and was consistently hitting within the 3 inch circle- all grouped within an inch of each other.

Cleaned the gun good, and decided to drop one of the hornady's on the target.....LOL, I was shooting 6-7 inches low consistently. Now, I do understand different shells fly a little different, but I have never had such a large variance. Is this normal?

I did witness today as well when the barrel gets warm and the bullet begins to walk horizontally a 1/2 inch-1 inch which I was expecting, but what can be done if anything to minimize this.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Pick a brand, and a given bullet weight. Buy at least 100 rounds. Zero scope, and do not allow other ammo in the gun. Consistency is the key.

You buy a new box, don't, buy 5 and recheck zero with 1 from each box. If you have issues you want to know ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I load my own. I know what bullets I like, I hand weigh each powder charge and use the same primers every time. Once I develop one I like, it's typically easy to reproduce. Only thing is when opening a new powder keg, I like to make sure it's still close to the same. One pound lasts a good while for most though. ;) With factory ammo, you get HUGE fluxuations even between batches. Also, difference in bullet BC and primer all change the ballistics. Depending on twist also, you can get more or less with different loads. Best thing as Ghosth stated is consistency. ;)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I have also experienced the same b/w Hornady American and Winchester Super X or whatever they called it a few years ago - both 100gr bullet and $20/box ea so it was just the regular old box of ammo you see at pretty much all big box sporting goods stores. 6" high with the Winchester and both shot nice groups

I just reload now - quit buying a factory stuff and just hunt brass and like tacklebury I am fond of particular bullets and try those first if they shoot good I just stick with them and fine tune a load

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
grizzely said:
I zero'd my handi 243 with 100 grain hornady interlocks, and was easily within the 3 inch circle shooting free handed at 100 yards...I was pleasantly surprised. Today, had some free time, and seen the new winchester deer hunter xp shells on sale in 95 grain so I bought a few boxes. I set up the target at 100 yards, and made my first shot............Was about 7 inches high, but in line right to left with the bulls eye. Thought maybe that was me, so I fired again......still 7 inches high. I adjusted the scope, made a few extra shots and was consistently hitting within the 3 inch circle- all grouped within an inch of each other.

Cleaned the gun good, and decided to drop one of the hornady's on the target.....LOL, I was shooting 6-7 inches low consistently. Now, I do understand different shells fly a little different, but I have never had such a large variance. Is this normal?

I did witness today as well when the barrel gets warm and the bullet begins to walk horizontally a 1/2 inch-1 inch which I was expecting, but what can be done if anything to minimize this.

Thanks
It's normal with Handi's. Your first mistake was to clean the gun. If the barrel gets really dirty, just run a brush thru the barrel and then a dry patch. Otherwise, don't go whole hog and clean the gun like you would a regular rifle. For some reason, Handi's shoot better dirty.

The second was to think that the rifle would treat all ammo the same. Find a brand that your rifle likes, then stick with it, or take up reloading. I recommend taking up reloading, that way you always have the ammo your rifle likes.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Yup, what they said! When I find a load my gun likes, that's all it gets. My only exception is my Win 30-06. All the brass for that are loaded w/150 gr cup & core, except for 20. Those are loaded w/180 gr round nose. They shoot 1" higher. So I'm all set no matter the game. Find a load, stick with it, don't clean a Handi. Simple. 44 Man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts