Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I use to buy Honda's ATV's, switched to Yamaha and I'm staying...

DM

·
23,750 Posts
Both are good as you probably already know. Me ill stick with Yamaha. Seems that honda sits on old technology longer and yamahas tend to have a bit better fit and finish. In my opinion todays 450 and 700 grizzlys and kodiacs are the most bullet proof atvs ever made. Usually a bit cheaper for a comparable featured maching then a honda too. Don't get me wrong here. My brother in law is a honda nut and has 3 four-wheelers and a side by side and id don't thing hes ever done more then putting a new battery in one. Its one of those questions theres probably not a wrong answer too. But this guy will die with a grizzly as long as there making them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have had both and had great luck with both. I have had the Honda for the last 15 years with zero problems. Id go with the best deal and service in your area. I don't think you can loose either way.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I bought a Yamaha 15 years ago and it's been a great machine. The dealer wanted to sell me a Honda but it cost more and offered nothing more, maybe less. I would say the Honda was quieter though. I got a small Suzuki I bought at a good price for friends to ride and it's been a real good machine too. There's a couple brands I stay away from but most ATV's will work and play hard.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Agree with many above. I still own a 1988 Honda that has been a tank, but when Honda went to the electronic shifting, they suffered. I have owned Yamaha’s since 2008 and have 3 and IMHO are the best around today.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've owned a 2005 electric shift Honda rancher.. bulletproof.
Zero problems in all these years.
Bought a new/used 2020 rancher 4x4 with foot shift. Yesterday... I dunno ??
Hurts me.. wishing it had electric shift.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
While Honda excels in bulletproof reliability, I think it does so at the expense of innovation in design.

If you have any interest in sporty riding at all I would suggest Yamaha over Honda.

This from a guy riding a 19 yr old Arctic Cat

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
23,750 Posts
While Honda excels in bulletproof reliability, I think it does so at the expense of innovation in design.

If you have any interest in sporty riding at all I would suggest Yamaha over Honda.

This from a guy riding a 19 yr old Arctic Cat

I need a kinder gentler machine gun
I consider honda atvs as the toyotas of the atv world. Yup there reliable but like you said there always years behind in technology and sell for more then the others. They let everyone else do the R&R because they dont have to. They can sell 3 year old technology because people are brain washed into thinking there the best. Even yamaha is leaning that way as of late. That old 700 griz is a great bike (i own one) but that motor is long in the tooth and should have been replaced with a good twin cyl motor years ago. Its a 700 that puts out less hp then most 550s today do. Ive been waiting 3 years now to replace mine. It still runs well but im ready for something new but cant see plunking down 10k for the same thing i already have. If i HAD to replace mine today id look seriously at can am and polaris. There the real innovators in the atv/side by side market.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have never owned a quad just because I didn’t need one. I have ridden on several Honda’s, Artic Cat’s and Polaris quads and side by side that my buddy had in his surveying business. All were good machines and had very little problems over the years. Over the last few months I’ve decided I wanted a quad for hunting, working around my property and some trail riding. My head was spinning trying to decide which one I wanted. I eventually narrowed it down to The Yamaha 450 Kodiak and The Can-Am 450 Outlander. I finally decided on the Can-Am 570 Outlander. Not because I wanted the extra power which is nice. I wanted the smoothness of that V-twin Motor. It won’t have to work as hard and should last a long time. I ordered it today, we will see how long it takes to get here.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 700 Grizz is an older 2012 model but it has all the power and speed I will ever need. At my age,I don't even want to take advantage of all the get u and go it can dish out. I'll save that for the young at heart. When mine ain't hunting or taking a cruise in the woods, it is plowing snow in the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our Yamaha Rhino does all the farm chores and hunting. It is used just about everyday, even if it is just to go down the drive to get the mail.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Our Yamaha Rhino does all the farm chores and hunting. It is used just about everyday, even if it is just to go down the drive to get the mail.
View attachment 252314
View attachment 252314
My Rhino 2009 450 Hunter is used the exact same way. She does a little trail riding, berry picking, etc. She gets an annual shop visit for normal maintenance and that's it. Last week, I ordered a Massimo 60 inch snow blower so she doesn't get bored this winter. We're on 120 acres on Michigan's Upper Peninsula...we get some snow.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts