Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we are in the heart of winter up here in Maine and all game seasons are over (except for poachers), what is there to hunt and keep our shooting eye sharp???....COYOTES! These are usually listed as varmints but a good culling is needed IMHO to help the yarded deer and the tick infested moose.
We can get, for a minimal fee, a night hunting permit for these critters. This allows us to hunt during restricted hours for any other game. If you are over 65 :tango_face_smile_bi you get this permit free.
Northern Maine has a good snowpack this year and snowmobiles are ideal for this pursuit. Ask around local farms and local hunters to see where the critters are. Dress WARM, leave the aftershave at home, learn how to call or use an electronic call (some are heavy, hence the snowmobile), get an appropriate load for your rifle (remember, you are not shooting deer size critters) and set forth.
Hunting is always more interesting than re-runs and Baby Bo-Bo.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I was just thinking about this today Sid. I was out on snowshoes during my lunch break and some fresh doe and skipper tracks in the snow. Right alongside those tracks were fresh coyote tracks. We all should get off the couch and get out in the woods this time of year.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
2,381 Posts
Could you add raccoon to the list? Here in Texas I don't believe they have a natural predator. Plus you can make a nice coat out of the pelts.

Here in Texas we dont need snow shoes, it was 60 degrees today.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two years ago I was on an ice covered woods road in the northern part of the state and came upon a moose carcass or rather what was left of one. Hair, gnawed bones, hooves, and not a whole lot else. The area around it was snow packed down by coyote tracks. I don't know what killed the moose, disease, ticks, illegal hunting or what. I have a hard time believing a few coyotes could bring down a critter this big, but I know what I saw. I could see it happening on the ice where the moose could not get any traction but it would still be a far stretch of imigination.
This is coyote season...take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have hunted coyote a lot in VT and up in Aroostock County. Snowfall, depth, and deer behavior are major impacts this time of year. After a deep snowfall, the coyote are literally following deer herds in their footsteps. The deer will be breaking path, making the going easier for the coyotes and, with the coyotes pushing them, the deer tire and the weakest eventually fall behind, at which point the fresher coyote move in for a kill.

If you can cut deer trail on your snow machine, swing wide and get out in front to set up, you will often get a good shot(s) on coyotes with no calling required - they'll be right on the heels of the deer. Similarly, wounded deer calls in close proximity to deer sign will often yield much better/more rapid response because it is something the 'yotes are expecting.

Envy you the monster brutes you get Down East ;-) Enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts