Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is or would be your favorite SA to carry on a trip into the middle of nowhere? I'm kind of partial to a SS Ruger SBH 5 1/2 " in either 44 magnum or 45 Colt. It would be a good balance between "carryability" and ballistic efficiency.

So. What would you take?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You favorite SA to "ride the river wit

Colt SAA in either .44 Special or .45 Colt. I like the Colt SAA. Just seems to feel better in my hand than the Rugers do.

·
Registered
86 Posts

No doubt about it. My stainless Vaquero in .45 Colt wtih a 4-5/8ths tube. Tried and true.

·
22,354 Posts

a man after my own heart. Nothing feels as at home on my hip as one of these. I have quite a few guns to choose from some of them nice customs but that one allways seems to get preference. Ill take mine blued though.
Loozinit said:
No doubt about it. My stainless Vaquero in .45 Colt wtih a 4-5/8ths tube. Tried and true.

·
Registered
83 Posts

easy, my Gary Reeder Ruger Bisley 45 Long Colt Hunter, with birdhead grip frame, 5-shot cylinder, 5" barrel, matte stainless steel, and a wonderful trigger. Its what I alway have with me in the great outdoors....RW

·
Registered
229 Posts
SA "Ride the River" revolver

No doubt in my mind but what I'd carry my Ruger OMBH in .41Magnum. It rode with me runnin' string, huntin' strays, and just ridin' for pleasure. Sooner part with a kidney than this .41. :p RKBA!

·
Registered
319 Posts

My Ruger BH in - what else - .45 Colt, blued, 4 5/8" barrel.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

:D Since I just put the money down... got to wait a couple of days for a check to get here... you know the ol saying, the checks in the mail :wink: but anyway.

I will be picking up my used SBH 7.5" 44 mag. This one is nice with pearl grips, would have perfered ivory though.

I have had many Rugers in the past and really love the 45 Colt when it is loaded to its full ability. But because I have about 1,000 empty 44 mag case on hand I got the 44 mag. After winter is over and the thaw hits the back country I won't feel undergunned in the Bob Marshal Wilderness one bit for any critter two or four legged that I may come across. :twisted:

·
Registered
213 Posts

I sure like my Gary Reeder Bisley in 480 Ruger. Fits my hand perfect, nearly aims itself, and the trigger pull is smooth and crisp.

Hud

·
Registered
324 Posts

I'm partial to a 4 3/4 SSA in .45. Loaded with 15.2 gr. 2400 & a 255gr. bullet. But only for serious use. Lighter loads for CAS & plinking. That first load might wear the gun prematurly. It is as hot as a SSA should have IMHO. Just my .02 worth. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

I've been stumbling through the sage and forests with a 5 1/2" Colt SAA .45 for 35 years... reckon I see no reason to change at this stage of the game! :wink:

BJD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Favorite single action

The Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 in 7 1/2 bbl . I carry in a flap holster or a Bianchi shoulder holster. It has the power with full mag loads and I load 6 grs of Bullseye behind a 240 gr swc for the lighter stuff.

I am thinking about the 4 5/8 " bbl.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Stainless 22

If I were playing like I was in the boonies on a river my choice would be 44mag. However, in a real life situation it would be a Stainless Steel 22 long rifle.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Have to agree with DzrtRat...one of my Ruger 4 5/8" stainless Vaqueros in .45 Colt would be with me.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

I know that most folks here have said the .45. Either the .45 or the .44 mag. would do the job no matter what it was. The only reason I'm going to disagree is because you said you were going to the "middle of nowhere." I've been in many a little town, if not in the "middle" of nowhere, pretty close to the edge, and .44 ammo was easier to find than .45. Yes, even out west. So that is my only concern. Who know what might happen on a trip?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Here in NM I actually ride two rivers with a SS 4-5/8" Ruger .45 Colt Vaquero in a El Paso Saddlery Tom Threeperson's rig on a river belt and my pre-64 94 in the saddle boot. The OM single-six .22 mag is in the saddle bags. The Vaquero replaced an old and dear .45 Colt Uberti (never liked adjustable sights on my single actions, can be broke or come loose).

Mama always said, "the pistol is the devils' right hand" :twisted:, but Papa taught me better!

·
Registered
68 Posts

It would either be my SS 44 SBH in 4 5/8 .That may be alittle to heavy if not .
Another favorite of mine has always been a BH 4 5/8 in 357 .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts