Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be nice to hear who all is taking their kid hunting this year. Heading out today for north central Minnesota with my 15 year old daughter for her first ever deer hunt. She'll be shooting her Handi .243 and I'll be using my Huntsman. Heard theres alot of deer where we're heading, and she's a good shot. Should be real good time.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
By the time you read this, you'll be back from your hunt. Let us know how it went.
My daughter's first deer hunt will be this year too---over here in WI
She'll be using a Stevens .243 (she just never took to the Handi's). We'll see how she does. I'm sure we'll both enjoy it just like you're doing this year with your daughter.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Taking my 14 yr old daughter on a youth deer hunt tomorrow. She got her first antelope in Wy in Oct. I think she enjoyed the hunt more than I did. I'll post a pict if successful. Since we don't have a NEF, I guess she will use her favorite... encore in 6.5 x 55. I be running the camera. Kids make the best hunting buddies so enjoy them while you can. GB & I posted a pict on this forum 2 or 3 weeks ago of my daughter's antelope. Good luck Aldar.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good job guys. My 8 year already took the first deer for the freezer last Saturday. 80 yards with the ol Handi 223. He was very excited as you can see. Already posted this pic once, but once more wont hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,777 Posts
Took my nine year old daughter out for youth weekend here in NH last week. We used my .357 Magnum Handi.
We didn't see any deer but we had a great time anyway.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
well most of yall still have like 20 to 30 years on me so do i still count as a young hunter????? its going to be a few years befor i et my young hunter out in the woods but next year when i get back i'm taking my wife out for her first deer , and she'll be there at the 2009 p-dog shoot

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We got back from our trip late Sunday afternoon. We didn't see many deer and neither of us got one. Daughter did get a shot off Saturday morning. We watch 4 deer come out in the field at 220yds. we waited for more than 20 minutes before they got to within 180yds. I was afraid that they would slip behind some heavy brush and asked her if she felt comfortable shooting that far. she was sure she could do it and took a shot. went right over the back of a large doe. The only other deer we saw was a 8pt buck that trotted right past her at about 30yds while she was walking out of the outhouse! Wish I had my camera ready for that one. We still had a real good time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
ALDAR,

It's great to got out with your kids, Been out with mine 2 weekends now & have not laid eyes on a deer, But we have a good time being together.

Statelinerut The smiles says all you need to know keep up the bonding

·
Registered
777 Posts
took my 8 year old out on the youth hunt he killed a 82 doe with the 357 max....his second ever...took him during black powder he shot a 89 # doe with his cut down huntsman at 80 yards,,,,,,,,,,,i think it great ...jb

·
Registered
124 Posts
My daughter still wants some pepper sticks and we still have two antelope doe tags. We're gonna try again this Saturday. We got a bit side tracked last time out! ;D

·
Super Moderator
51,142 Posts
That kinda sidetracked is ok anytime!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts