Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light if the recent 30-40 re-chamber question... Its got me thinking about another barrel/caliber. Lord knows I don't "need" another... ::) But There are a couple I would like to add to the stable... This is kinda like the "wish list" only leaning more to calibers you may do yourself...
Here is mine...

7x30 Waters:
I have had a couple and very much like and respect what this caliber is capable of... and at least in my mind, being its rimmed its a natural for the H&R. (REMINGTON ARE YOU LISTENING???) (I know its nearly a defunct caliber, and never likely to be chambered into a current firearm. But a guy can wish right? ) It would need to be a stub as there is no factory barrel suitable for a "re-chamber".

30 Govt/30-40 Krag:
Simply get a 30-30 barrel, remove the extractor, rent the reamer form 4D, add some oil and an undisturbed 30 minutes. You will be left with your very own 30GOVT and a bigger forearm. ;) (Its NOT hard)!

32/40 Winchester
This one is sentimental, but to get the full effect would need to be a long barrel and OCTAGON! Its filed in my head for a time when the extra $$ won't be missed and I have waited long enough. I have a couple hundred brand new brass and a couple different 32 Cal rifle molds. This one too would need to be a stub once the appropraite barrel was found. As I said, this one is not happening anytime soon, but something I would very much like to do.

What are you guys thinking...

CW

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
stubbed S/R 257 roberts................ ;D
it will come to life soon 8)

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
303 Brit. I'd like to lay my hands on a 24" 223 heavy barrel and have it rechambered and rebored to 303 brit. And it's rimmed. I have a 1945 Canadian long branch SMLE and it is a take driver, but that long barrel doesn't do well in my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
7x30 Waters for sure.

I have never had one, but have been wanting to play with one for a long time....

I don't want to pay for a stub job though, so I have been keeping my eye out for a Contender Carbine barrel.

I am also very interested in a 7x30 Waters Improved (I have heard it called other names as well), and a 6.5 x 30-30 Improved (this one might be called a 6.5 Bullberry??).

30-30 makes a great parent case for single shot rifles.

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
+1 30-40 ;) I have a wallet of original 30US marked bullets from my great grandpa. One of the tops on my list to do. ;)

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
I acquired another 30/30 barrel intending to ream it to AI,but after thinking about it,I am more inclined now toward the 30/40 Kraig. Hummmm

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I'd like a factory 25-35,32 special,303 Brit,35 Winchester and oh yes a 405 Winchester. Other than the 405, I know there is not enough interest in the others.Oh I would like a 7x65r as long as dreaming is allowed.

·
Super Moderator
51,893 Posts
I'm still stuck on a .375" something, am seriously considering a .375H&H Ackley and loading it to 375 H&H Flanged pressures, doing the Ackley version would insure that if by chance anyone ever did load a factory round in it, the pressure in the Ackley chamber would be 37.1kpsi as predicted by QL and the improved chamber should reduce breech thrust some over the tapered parent round. 4D has the reamer, a Redding FL die is $60, I already have a 375H&H seater die which should work fine, I use a Hornady 35 Whelen seater for my 35 Whelen Improved, so the cost would just be the one die, rechamber and rebore of a 26" 25-06 or 280 barrel.

Tim

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
If my sabot/bullet testing pans out it will be a 44 Caliber Inline muzzleloader. 8)

BB

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I'd have to say my wish list Handi would also be the 303 British.

Rimmed cartridge would make a perfect Handi caliber, and it would be an accurate shooter with manufactured ammo available, and one that reloaders could really have some fun with also.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
I'm looking to add the 44 Shikari next. Kurt

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
In the world of 'marketing' I suppose the management of H&R sees these as an inexpensive, maybe entry level rifle with a certain 'market share' (and since some other companies are in this niche too, there must be something to that), BUT, it wont really cost them much of anything more to chamber up to the 'classic' cartridges (30-40Krag, .303 British,etc., as well as the 32-20 and/or .327Fed.) that appeal to us 'mature' shooters. Our money shouldnt be ignored in this 'niche of the niche', especially in this economy where getting, and maintaining market share is tough!
If they build it, will we come? We KNOW the answer to that, I just hope they are listening ;D .

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
My next one is a .356 Win!! I know of someone who is stubbing the 7-30 Waters with great success and a high degree of accuracy....so tempting. Maybe that will be my next, next Handi. ;) ;D

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
30-30

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I built the one I really wanted. A Trotter special 7 mm TCU, stubbed of course. Remington take off 7 mag barrel as the donor. It shoots better than I do, more fun than anything except a 30-30 Handi.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I can't decide so I guess it would have to be two guns.
Both long barrels.
1- a true 50 cal cartridge, either 50-70 or the big boy 50-140 Express to go along with my 45-120.
2- a 405 Winchester.
Sometime in the futher maybe a 32 cal, 32-20, 327?

LONGTOM

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.