Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup my bench this weekend to help a buddy of mine sight his rifle. We had a difference of opinion about the method of sighting a rifle. I have always shot once, clean, wait a while for the barrel to cool then shoot again and repeat the procedure. Once I'm happy with that I will shoot repeat shots without cleaning or cooling.

My take is that cleaning and waiting between shots will give me the best results. My buddy thinks I'm going a little too far with this. Do you guys do anything like this???

·
Registered
231 Posts
:sniper: I usually clean only after 20 or so shots. I've found that most of the time the fouler shot doesn't affect group size but occasionally for some reason it will fly off. In that case I usually diregard it and shoot a four or five shot group. I'm only talking hunting accuracy here 1/2 to 2 inches for three shots. The bench resters are pickier about this sort of thing. I've kept records for several years with all my targets for about 20 different rifles and have not been able to prove that the first three shots out of a clean barrel shoot any different than the 18th-20th.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have seen both results in my collection of rifles. Some take 2 or 3 shoots to print back to center when clean and some don't. I have one that will print off 3-4 inches when its clean, then it will hold 1/2" all day long. Just my observations. KN

·
Registered
373 Posts
i lock my rifle down so it can`not move,fire a round at a large target,adjust the crosshairs to the hole! i start at 40yds,clean and cool after each shot! i usually zero in 1 1/2 in high at 40 yds it generally takes 5 shots or less!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts