Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 as new yugo sks's both with the same problem. The firing pins stick in the firing pin holes in the bolt face. I have dissambled both and thorougly cleaned and looked for burrs or signs of being bent and they look fine. I thaught about using some very fine polishing compound and lap them in. I don't want to enlarge the holes any so I am hesitant. any Ideas? My sons doubled on him yesterday and scared the crap out of him. the fired case looked like a slamfire since the primer wasn't dented normaly. it was a bigger flattened dimple on it instead. we were using wolf milsurp stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Don't lap the pins to the bolt. Polish to reduce the pin's tip diameter by turning and using fine sanding paper or crocus cloth. Check to be certain the pin is retracting correctly before completing the reassembly... This is a dangerous condition... Verify the springs have not been altered also before re-assembly... These are tilting locks and if the rifle had truly fired out of battery it would have done major damage.. What it did was to fire as the bolt tilted to the locked possition, This will raise the hackles on the back of your neck... That pin must not protrude from the boltface on the closing stroke....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wich springs are you referring to? I am pretty sure nothing on the rifles have been altered. they look like they had never even been fired. the firing pins are sticking out hard enough sometimes that you can barely push them in with your finger. I have noticed that if they are dryfired it realy jamms them in the hole good. I don't do that as a rule, I just noticed that while I was looking for the problem. I am gonna go fire up the lathe and polish them now. I hope that works.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
gunnut 69,
What do you think? Should he be replacing the firing-pin spring?

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I'm not sure?? Think I'll go look at one a see what there is to see.. There isn't a firing pin spring per say but there should be a stop clearly defined. Perhaps there is damage to the stop from dry firing and the stops' edge has been taper off allowing it to wedge in place. The spring I was refering to was the recoil spring. The slam fires are very dangerous.. and an over power return spring could be contributing.. but I think the 'hard to push with a finger' tells us the firing pin isn't being retracted,, perhaps too much dry firing..???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts