Did you ever get that Kimber Montana to the range? The
last I read, you were hung up in some court proceedings,
and hadn't gotten to shoot the gun yet. I saw some debate
going on another forum about Cooper versus Kimber, and
I immediately thought about you, and your Kimber. The
consensus in that thread, was Kimber, in general, did not live
up to most folks expectations for accuracy. One person had
four Kimbers, and was happy with them, but a number of posters
were less than positive about their Kimber experiences.
One does not always know the source of some of this info,
so I usually take it with a grain of salt. Now your results,
in your words, would have much more credibility, at least
for me. So, what say you, Mr. New Kimber Owner?

Squeeze

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. My Kimber 84M Montana 7mm-08 will be here tomorrow, I can't wait - But it sure is hard t drag out 1100 bucks for a rifle :-D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kimber accuracy

Just recently purchased a Kimber Montana 308 and have problems with getting the correct load. I have shot several bullet types and two different recommended powders and various powder loads. I spoke to a Kimber rep and was not too successful with getting any info from him. Basically, I was told anything other than factory loads would void the warranty. He did add that the barrel needs to be completey cold before the next round could be fired. Is this typical for getting the accuracy I expect?. Also, if there are any loads recommended, I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rick,

From what I have heard is that Kimber's can be sort of picky about what they will shoot accurately and the key is to let the barrel cool down. I would do something like this while sighting it in: Shoot, 15 minutes let it rest with bolt open, Shoot, 15 minutes, Shoot..... Do that for each 3 shot group and it should bring them in for you. It could also be you, in that case I might recommend a Past Recoil Shield pad so you don't notice recoil as much, if that may be your problem - I dont know.

But from the guys I have talked to, I guess the key is letting it sit and get fresh before shooting again.

How 'bad' is it really shooting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kimber Accuracy

First two shots can be touching using 150's. Then it will usually spread to the right about 1.5 - 2 inches or climb to about the same. I am shooting off a Caldwel Lead Sled. The trigger has not been adjusted and is a bit heavy for my liking. I have not been letting it cool down for 15 minutes. I will usually let it cool down where it is just warm to the touch. I will try your recomendation. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rick,

Sounds like thats the problem. It starts to heat up and then throws one off. But, we come back to the subject of -- what is acceptable hunting accuracy? You don't have anything to worry about, I am sure it will shoot under an inch for you with patience.

Best of luck, keep us updated :D

·
Administrator
26,063 Posts
A properly made barrel does not throw them wild as the barrel heats up. That is a sign of unrelieved or improperly relieved stresses in the barrel. Even pencil thin barrels IF made correctly can be accurate and can shoot tight groups even when hot.

My Remington LSS Mtn. Rifles in both 7-08 and .30-06 do this. Hot or cold the group is in the same place and just as tight, meaning well under and inch at 100 yards and as often as not around 1/2". They shoot factory loads or reloads that way. My old Model 7 SS was the same even tho lighter by a full pound or more.

I'd not accept such performance from a $1100 rifle. If that's the best it is capable of then they should pull it from the market until they get the process corrected.

·
Registered
641 Posts
GB,

I doubt 1.5" is what it is 'capable' of. We do not know his rest or shooting conditions, etc. There are a lot of simple factors that can lead to big accuracy problems.

I agree, when I get my Kimber tomorrow and take it to the range with factory ammo on a solid rest and the best it can shoot is 1.5", I will not be very pleased.

It is a fine rifle, and you are going to get a sour one once and again but this sounds more like user error than the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Sorry for the late reply guys. I posted the results from the range report in another post titled - Kimber Montana .300WSM Range Report.

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
641 Posts
and for those who have not noticed, it's a STICKY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts