Graybeard Outdoors banner

Zero brand .431 bullets for hunting

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Joe S. 
#1 · (Edited)
I have always thought of Zero brand bullets as a target bullet, but last night I happened upon a thread talking about their 240 grain .431 jacketed soft point for 44 mag. That is an inexpensive bullet, about $138 per thousand. I ordered a thousand to try. I know several folks use it, but one thing I couldn't find in my search is if anyone has had any success with this bullet as a hunting bullet for white tail and/ or hogs, or similar size game. Just wondering what this bullet is really designed for. The lady I placed my order with was admittedly not a shooter and she couldn't tell me much of anything about the bullet other than price and weight. My plan for this bullet is to use it as a revolver and rifle bullet for 44 mag and special, and maybe in my 444 Marlin rifles.

First shot results.
Load is 20 grains of Accurate Number 9.
Fired from a 10.5” Super Blackhawk.

Distance was about 5 feet into some damp Mississippi dirt. Penetrated 6.5”.

Only lost 4 grains

See less See more
#2 ·
They came in today.

I started loading a few up this evening. I have some Accurate Number 9 I need to use up so that’s the powder I’ll start with. It is an attractive bullet.
Since there are no ballistic tests that I have found online and the company doesn’t have any to provide, I’ll do some of my own “testing”.

I’ll start by digging some out of the mud and seeing what they look like. Then I guess I’ll try some water jugs.

It makes a fairly attractive cartridge though.

#3 ·
Hey Joe,

If you have a caliper see if you can measure the diameters of a few. I bought several hundred from glades armory, supposed to be .431 but they were .429

The XTPs were an honest .430

Not sure if the zero is sold by glades armory but they look similar.

#6 · (Edited)
Updated OP too.

Updated OP

First shot results.
Load is 20 grains of Accurate Number 9.
Fired from a 10.5” Super Blackhawk.

Distance was about 5 feet into some damp Mississippi dirt. Penetrated 6.5”.

Only lost 4 grains

#7 ·
Today I loaded a couple up in a 444 Marlin case and performed the same “test” with my 444P. I don’t know that I’ll use this as a 444 bullet. Penetration of 3.5” and 5” as opposed to about 6.5” with a 265 Interlock that is made for the 444. Expansion was pretty good though. Lol

Weight retention, not so much.

Compared to the 265 Interlock.

The two Zeros on the left and the Hornady Interlock on the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.